YMCA of Austin
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Adventure Instructor - Camp Moody
at YMCA of Austin
How you will contribute to our Purpose:
The Y’s purpose is to strengthen the community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
As an Adventure Instructor, you will play a critical role in leading family enrichment activities such as arts, games, sports, and songs/skits. Staff also assists in greeting attendees, set up/takedown, and program logistics. You are required to act with intentionality to connect participants to our purpose through service. As an organization committed to living our purpose we show up to welcome, connect, support, and invite our participants to connect with each other and YMCA Camp Moody. The Adventure Instructor reports to the Senior Program Director. This is a part-time role based out of Camp Moody that begins in March.
What are the details?
- Lead families in activities, specifically in arts, group games, and family team building games.
- Attend required pre-training the second half of March
- Supervise families and campers in skills relevant to their camp program, including the safe and proper use of equipment and supplies
- Provide activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem-solving, building self-esteem and learning how to share and properly interact with others in ways that are respectful to each family’s uniqueness.
- Interact with the children and families in a way, which conveys respect and nurturing and supports their social and emotional development.
- Remain calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
- Assist in the program set up and take down.
- Complete all other job duties assigned to deliver effective operation of camp activities.
- Minimum of 16 years of age
What you bring to the Purpose:
- You have at least one year working and/or volunteering with children ages 5-17.
- You have a positive attitude and ability to work with others.
- You are energetic, assertive and goal-oriented.
- You are determined to complete all appropriate trainings, including pre-service, and quarterly training.
- You have reliable transportation to attend work.
- You maintain a well-groomed appearance and adhere to a welcoming and professional dress code.
- You display interest, knowledge, skills, enthusiasm, and ability to provide attention and care to children and their families.
- You have a passion to work with families and children in the outdoors setting.
- Individual membership to all YMCA's of Austin (over $600.00/year value)
- Flexible schedules
- Resume builder
- Paid training hours
- Opportunities for advancement
Pay Rate: $9.50 - $13.00 per hour, depending on experience
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.