Western Governors University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Nursing Course Faculty - MSN Education Track (Full-Time, Online)
at Western Governors University
Course Mentors at WGU function as subject matter experts who assist students as they engage specific sections of the WGU curriculum. The type, length, and intensity of instructional method vary based upon student needs. Course Mentors help students with specific questions that arise and offer specialized instruction on challenging topics.
WGU seeks nurses with a successful track record teaching in higher education to work with our MSN - Education students. This is a great opportunity to work with students everyday in an evidence-based curriculum that focuses on curriculum development, learning styles, assessment, and more.
Course Mentors do not develop WGU courses, construct tests, or grade assessments independently, but may contribute subject matter expertise to a larger course design effort. Their primary focus is on bringing WGU courses of study to life through one-to-one or one-to-many engagements.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Proactively work with students daily, and respond to student inquiries about content, learning resources, or assessments.
- Provide relevant information on student tasks based on feedback from assessment graders.
- Coach students to competency development by asking open-ended questions, brainstorming next steps, and maintaining accountability.
- Provide additional resources to students based on content expertise, while maintaining the students' responsibility for task competency.
- Maintain current and active knowledge in Informatics in order to bring examples and ideas to students.
- MSN and complete doctoral degree
- Experience teaching at the college or university level
- Experience in curriculum design preferred
- 7+ years’ progressive experience in a nursing specialization
- CNE certification preferred
- Travel to and participation in semi-annual academic meetings is required.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check. Must be lawfully employable in the United States either by virtue of citizenship or by permanent residency via a green card.
- Must have an active and unencumbered Nursing license in state of residence
- Subject matter expertise and proven experience in a Nursing discipline
- Understanding and appreciation of competency-based education
- Proven track record for effective coaching and communication skills within a diverse population
- Success in working on complex projects using a collaborative work model
- Superior writing and technology skills;
- Organization skills and attention to detail
- Passion for assisting and supporting others
- Independent self-starter/self-manager
- Demonstrated professionalism that displays effective judgment and professional integrity.