Western Governors University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Course Instructor, Accounting (Work from home)
at Western Governors University
Student learning is the primary responsibility of WGU faculty. Course Instructors are subject matter experts who teach and mentor students when students engage in their assigned courses. Course Instructors vary the type, length, and intensity of instructional method based upon student needs. Course Instructors work on a team to support an assigned group of students and offer specialized instruction on challenging topics. Using technology, course instructors interact with students in both group and one-on-one settings. As part of WGU’s dis-aggregated faculty model, Course Instructors provide their expertise and collaborate with the faculty who are responsible for developing and evaluating courses and assessments.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision. The Course Instructors must demonstrate a high level of commitment effectively and consistently.
- Provides expertise in assigned content area and maintains current knowledge in his/her field.
- Fosters student learning through innovative teaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Offers proactive support and outreach to assigned students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Participates and or leads training activities;
- Responds with urgency to changing requirements, priorities, and short deadlines.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
Required Education and Experience
- Doctorate, or terminal degree in accounting. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Separate qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing student support and instruction; demonstrated ability to work with at-risk learners.
Special Position Requirements
Travel/Commute: works primarily from home but is available to travel to meetings as required.
Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends)
Our employees must exemplify our WGU Leadership Principles. Course Instructors must start all decisions with students in mind. They innovate as they drive results. They engage in ongoing learning, act with urgency and integrity on behalf of the university, and take ownership of outcomes and strategies. Finally, a course mentor must inspire and develop students and earn the trust of students and colleagues at WGU.
This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.