Travis County (TX)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Travis County (TX)
- Job Summary
Performs skilled journey plumber level licensed work in the installation, maintenance and repair of plumbing systems. Installs new and repairs existing systems, develops and maintains preventive maintenance schedules and performs specialized tests. Performs all work in accordance with adopted building codes and uses appropriate safety procedures under the general oversight of a licensed Master Plumber.
This is the first in a series of two plumber-related job classifications within the Skilled Trades job family. This classification is distinguished by the requirement for a journey plumber license, additional experience and the ability to perform skilled journeyman level of plumbing work. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs new and repairs plumbing systems. Makes recommendations regarding replacement or upgrade of systems.
- Plans and develops routine preventive maintenance schedules for systems. Responds to requests for service.
- Researches and estimates time and materials needed and records time and materials used. Requests for needed tools, equipment, supplies and materials to perform assigned tasks. Monitors expenditure of supplies and controls inventory of equipment and tools.
- Installs new equipment, piping and fixtures. Obtains permits, as required, from regulatory agencies for the construction of new plumbing systems.
- Performs preventive maintenance and required testing on plumbing systems, including back flow preventers.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND four (4) years experience in the installation and repair of plumbing fixtures and systems, such as gas, water and steam systems;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Journeyman Plumber License issued by the State of Texas.
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Plumbing codes, related terminology, practices and procedures.
- Standard plumbing maintenance and repair methods, materials, tools and equipment.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Operating and using standard plumbing tools and equipment.
- Installing and maintaining plumbing work.
- Reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints.
- Proper and applicable safety practices, procedures and regulations.
- Working with others, including on a team.
- Explaining complicated problems in simple non-technical language.
- Calculating estimates of time, labor and quantities of materials needed.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Understand and precisely follow both verbal and written instructions and communicate in a concise and effective manner.
- Work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, other County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
- Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, repetitive motion, pulling, driving, twisting, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting, and working in cramped or confined spaces or areas for extended periods of time to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with hazardous waste, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents, toxic or potential hazardous chemical or substances, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, loud noises, and high voltage. Requires work indoors/outdoors in all types of weather (excessive heat and cold). Requires working at heights from ladders and scaffolds.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 7:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m; may be on call for emergencies
Works some nights, holidays and weekends
Department: Facilities Management
Location: 700 Lavaca, Austin
Criminal, Driving and Employment Background Check Required.
*Applicants are required to successfully pass the background investigation, including fingerprint clearance.