Travis County (TX)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
EDUCATION INSTRUCTIONAL SPECIALIST
at Travis County (TX)
- Job Summary
4-H CAPITAL inspires youth to develop into inquiring scientists, citizens of character, partners in service, and engaged community members through participation in project-based learning experiences and collaborative community involvement. This position will support AmeriCorps members who serve at schools in the Travis County area for after school and day-time enrichment.
This is a grant-funded position. Grant may be renewed.
Distinguishing Characteristics:This is a job classification within the Education & Training job family. This classification is responsible for developing, presenting and coordinating educational activities, projects and programs for students. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, updates and leads trainings related to Natural Resources and behavior management so that instructors are prepared to teach in an after-school setting.
- Provides coaching and mentorship to instructors related to facilitating Natural Resources and ongoing professional development that is related to their field or other Science programs
- Guides instructors throughout the process of developing unit and lesson plans for our of school time classes.
- Visits after-school sites to provide support for instructors as needed.
- Maintains relationships with sites, coordinators, 4-H CAPITAL staff, AmeriCorps member, AgriLife Extension and community partners to ensure high quality programming.
- Coordinating and managing Natural Resources and other related programs of 4-H CAPITAL
- Analyzes program and program policy issues and documents findings.
- Assists with the maintaining, writing, management, purchasing, and compliance quarterly/final reports for the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department COOP grant.
- Helps to maintain and manage the distribution of equipment related to Natural Resources and other related teaching materials using during Out-of-School time classes
- Plans and assist with field trips and guest speaker experiences for students
- Providing coaching and mentorship to instructors related to facilitating STEM activities and ongoing professional development.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Education or a directly related field AND two (2) years of practical subject work or instructional experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License
Youth and 4-H experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Teaching principles, practices and procedures, principles of curriculum development and educational and training resources.
- Federal, State and Local program laws and requirements.
- Advocacy groups, volunteer providers and community outreach organizations.
- Program planning, development and monitoring.
- Public relations, marketing, outreach and presentations.
- Teaching applications.
- Public relations.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Prepare administrative and statistical reports.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients and their families, other County employees and officials, community outreach and other organizations, and the general public.
- Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability lift/carry up to 10-50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. May be subject to outside elements, contact with dust, foul odors, animal fecal matter, insects and rodents.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Department: Health & Human Services
Location: 1600 B Smith Road, Austin, TX
Work Hours: Monday through Friday. Works some weekends.
Education and Employment Background Check Required.
Eligibility contingent on a National Sex Offender Check, a Statewide Criminal History Check and a FBI Fingerprinting Check.