Travis County (TX)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
CSCD Probation Officer I
at Travis County (TX)
- Job Summary
Provides supervision to clients who have been placed on community supervision by the courts, enforces conditions of community supervision and monitors all aspects of casework related to the conditions of community supervision. Conducts initial and subsequent interviews with clients to assist in sentencing, explains conditions of community supervision, and assists clients in meeting terms of community supervision.
This is second in a series of five probation-related job classifications within the Court Services job family. This classification provides supervision to clients who have been placed on community supervision by the courts and may initially perform duties during the training period together with a higher-level staff member. Cases must be staffed with a higher-level staff member for recommendations for appropriate action to be taken. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts interviews with clients, investigates and examines information related to client's case, and prepares a report to facilitate the sentencing process.
- Conducts initial and subsequent interviews with clients, explaining conditions of community supervision as set forth by the courts. Develops supervision plans for clients and completes all required documents on newly probated clients.
- Interprets conditions of community supervision, monitors for compliance with conditions, and takes appropriate action for noncompliance.
- Maintains ongoing accurate level of supervision on all offenders.
- Monitors client's progress through regular interviews with client. Conducts field visits to client's home and other locations pertinent to client's case.
- Uses motivational interviewing techniques to assist in addressing criminogenic needs and to facilitate change in in behavior to reduce recidivism.
- Documents all contacts with clients and all pertinent facts and events occurring in client's life, including issues of compliance and noncompliance. Documents collateral contacts, referrals, correspondence, and any and all other pertinent information.
- Assists clients with various referrals, including, but not limited to, counseling, treatment and job referrals.
- Ensures all money owed by client, as set forth in the conditions of community supervision, is collected and properly recorded.
- Prepares legal documents and other reports for judges, attorneys and the court system, as required.
- Conducts urinalysis on clients, as required, for purposes of substance abuse monitoring. May administer other substance abuse screening and assessment tools.
- Provides testimony in court, as required.
- May transport clients.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice or a directly related field. If Bachelor's degree is in unrelated field, must have one (1) year of graduate work in related field or one (1) year of experience in full-time casework, counseling or community group work.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and legal terminology related to court system.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines and applicable community supervision services standards and procedures.
- Standard practices in area of assignment.
- Evidence Based Practices.
- Psychological concepts related to behavior change, criminal thinking and mental health.
- Ethical Behavior in the Workplace
- Basic Office Etiquette
- Casework techniques.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Interviewing clients.
- Conduct investigations and report results clearly, accurately and impartially.
- Work efficiently both independently and as part of a team.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Effectively communicate in writing and verbally
- Work effectively and courteously under stressful circumstances.
- Deal effectively with clients with mental disorders and clients who are engaging in aggressive or hostile behavior.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Perform in a stressful environment while maintaining a professional manner.
- Research, compile, analyze, interpret and prepare a variety of memorandums or reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, attorneys, judges and the general public.
- Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-25 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with communicable diseases, radiation, hazardous waste, human fecal matter and foul odors. Subject to client and customer contact for extended periods of time.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM; Monday through Friday
Department: CSCD Adult Probation
Location: Various County Facilities
These positions may be utilized to fill other vacancies throughout the Travis County Community Justice Services facilities. Decisions on facility placement will be made at the time of hire based on business needs.
Criminal, Education and Employment Background Check Required.
***Applicants chosen for fingerprinting will be responsible for the fingerprinting fee.***