Travis County (TX)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Building Operations Worker
at Travis County (TX)
- Job Summary
Functions as lead worker supervising and assisting in preparation and cleanup of buildings and grounds for upcoming events. Performs minor repairs on facilities, equipment and furnishings, and completes operational checks on equipment and systems. Responds to urgent needs of client during assigned events.
Distinguishing Characteristics:This is the first in a series of two building operations-related job classifications within the General/Road Maintenance job family. This classification functions as a lead worker overseeing and assisting in the preparation and cleanup for events and performing minor preventative maintenance work. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in supervising the preparation and cleanup of buildings and grounds for upcoming events. Serves as lead worker in performance of building operations functions.
- Attends events to coordinate repairs and assist with the facilitation of operations and respond to emergencies and urgent needs. Ensures assigned aspects of events are implemented and controlled according to plans.
- Performs operational checks on equipment and systems.
- Operates light and heavy equipment to prepare facilities and grounds for events.
- Performs minor repairs on facilities, equipment and furnishings. Monitors expenditures on supplies and controls inventory of assigned equipment and tools.
- Monitors and verifies operational status of emergency systems (power, fire alarms, and lighting).
- Performs required flow testing of fire hydrant systems.
- Completes structural pesticide applications, as required. Applies appropriate herbicides to grounds.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND four (4) years of increasingly responsible building operations experience, including minor preventive maintenance and repairs to equipment, buildings and facilities;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principles and practice of leading staff.
- Standard practices, methods and skills in use and maintenance of facilities.
- Custodial cleaning standards and practices.
- Equipment and tools used in maintenance and repair functions.
- Pesticides, herbicides and similar grounds maintenance chemicals.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of assigned function.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
- Leading and advising others.
- Troubleshooting, and performing minor maintenance and repair needs.
- Conferring with clients and ensuring facilities meet those needs.
- Operating light and heavy equipment.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Lead and train staff.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Evaluate client emergent needs and fulfill those needs.
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
- Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 75 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM; Monday through Friday; works some nights weekends and holidays.
Department: Facilities Management
Location: 7311 Decker Lane; Austin Expo Center
Criminal, Driving and Employment Background Check Required