Travis County (TX)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Building Maintenance Worker Sr.
at Travis County (TX)
- Job Summary
Performs a variety of complex preventive maintenance tasks, repairs, and additions to County buildings, facilities and equipment. Work involves multiple skill areas, including carpentry, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations and machine servicing. Functions as a lead worker over building maintenance staff. May be assigned as full time skilled painter or carpenter.
This is the second in a series of two building maintenance-related job classifications within the Maintenance job family. This classification is distinguished by complex maintenance work requiring advanced proficiency in multiple skill areas and/or journey level skill as a painter or carpenter. This classification also performs lead duties. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Functions as a lead worker in the performance of building maintenance duties. Provides technical advice and assistance for assigned staff.
- Provides recommendations regarding replacement or upgrade of facilities and equipment.
- Performs a variety of preventive maintenance routines on equipment, building components and facilities.
- Performs periodic and routine walk through inspections of assigned facilities, identifies work requirements, submits requirements to service call and performs work assigned.
- Researches and estimates time and materials needed and records time and materials used. Requests for needed tools, equipment, supplies and materials to perform assigned tasks. Monitors expenditure of supplies and controls inventory of equipment and tools.
- Completes electrical, plumbing, masonry and carpentry repairs.
- Services and repairs heating and air conditioning system.
- Replaces broken glass. Installs/replaces light fixtures, and switches.
- Remodels building and facilities, including removal/replacement of wall systems, doors/frames, windows and built in furniture/counters.
- Prepares for painting. Paints and seals building surfaces and equipment.
- Repairs and maintains security control panels and video monitors and security cameras.
- May be required to disassemble/assemble and move furniture and equipment.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND five (5) years of increasingly responsible building maintenance experience, including preventive maintenance and repairs to equipment, buildings and facilities;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Certification or must be obtained within one (1) year of date of hire.
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Certification
Commercial maintenance experience and high-rise building experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principles and practices of leading staff.
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of assigned function.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
- Equipment and tools used in maintenance and repair functions.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Leading and advising others.
- Carpentry, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations and machine servicing.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and performing maintenance and repair needs.
- Reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints.
- Proper and applicable safety practices, procedures and regulations.
- Working with others, including on a team.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Motivate, train, and lead others.
- Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively, as required.
- Safely and correctly apply building and equipment maintenance and repair techniques and operate tools and equipment.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
- Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 100 pounds/carry up to 75 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents. Requires working at heights from ladders and scaffolds.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Two (2) positions available
Work Hours: Flexible schedule, works some weekends.
Department: Facilities Management
Location: Various County Facilities
Criminal, Driving and Employment Background Check Required.
Applicants are required to successfully pass the background check investigation, Travis County pays Shift Differential for PM and Overnight shifts and weekends.