Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
RRC - Director II/Accounting Director
at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
The Accounting Director position is responsible for the accounts payable, purchasing, and payroll operations of the Commission. This position is also responsible for establishing, maintaining and/or overseeing accounting systems, procedures and controls to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of payment information in accordance with State of Texas statutes. The successful applicant should possess strong expertise in planning, implementing, reviewing guidelines, procedures, rules and regulations; and monitoring compliance. This position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and provides supervision of the Accounts Payable, Purchasing, and Payroll departments. The Accounting Director assists the CFO in analysis and interpretation of expenditure patterns and procurement statutes.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Developing methods for the control and documentation of claims for payment.
- Managing the tracking systems for invoices and travel reimbursements.
- Managing the preparation and processing of payrolls.
- Oversees the detailed reporting of expenditures and encumbrances.
- Oversees the development of internal agency training on procurement and travel.
- Recommends and implements agency accounting and financial policies and procedures in accordance with statute and professionally accepted standards.
- Reviews, analyzes, and interprets Government Accounting Standards Board Statements and Comptroller of Texas' Accounting Policy Statements.
- Manages the accounts payable, purchasing, and payroll personnel.
- Facilitates communication between purchasing department and contracting department.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- May require some travel.
State Classification #: 1621
State Classification Title: DIRECTOR II
Salary Group: B27
Military Occupation Codes (MOC):
Army – No Military Equivalent
Navy - 641
Coast Guard – 20, 70, MGT10
Air Force – No Military Equivalent
Marines – 86MO
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university; experience in the following (or closely-related) fields may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis: Accounting, Auditing, Business Administration, Procurement, or Financial Management.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in budgeting, finance, or accounting roles.
- Demonstrated experience in the ability to provide direction and guidance; and establish priorities and standards.
- Five (5) years of experience in a managerial position.
- Master's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field of finance, accounting or a closely-related field.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Comptroller procurement certification - Certified Texas Contract Developer (CTCD), Certified Texas Contract Manager (CTCM), or Certified Texas Purchasing Manager (CTPM) certification.
- Experience with State of Texas CAPPS accounting system.
- Experience with USAS.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of financial administration and fiscal accounting;
- Knowledge of government accounting principles and State of Texas Accounting Policy Statements;
- Knowledge of state procurement statutes and rules;
- Skill in effective oral and written communication, including presentation skills;
- Skill in exercising logic and sound reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems;
- Skill in forming and maintaining positive and productive working relationships both internal and external to the Commission including with other state/public agencies, internal work teams, and state/federal oversight agencies;
- Skill in managing teams to achieve the goals set by the leadership;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement;
- Ability to prepare reports, memos, calculations and other documentation;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
Remarks: There is one vacancy.
THE RAILROAD COMMISSION OF TEXAS ONLY ACCEPTS ONLINE APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSTING.
Due to the high volume of applications we do not accept telephone calls. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Notifications to applicants are sent electronically to the email address you provide.
The Railroad Commission of Texas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age
or disability in employment or in the provision of services.
The Railroad Commission of Texas is a smoke-free workplace.