Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Manager of Quality Instructional Materials (Program Specialist VII)
at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 00003909
Categories: Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director), Education - Professional, Education - Training
MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Instructional materials are among the most important tools educators use to improve and support student achievement. Research indicates that Texas could see significant improvements in student achievement outcomes if the Texas Education Agency (TEA) can help more teachers gain access to higher quality, standards-based instructional materials.
To do this, the agency is launching the first-ever online Instructional Material Portal (IMP) to support districts' local review and adoption processes by providing clear, transparent, and user-friendly information about the quality of instructional materials—similar to a Consumer Reports for materials. TEA also seeks to provide resources and professional development opportunities related to the strong implementation of high-quality materials; this includes training to deepen knowledge of content and content pedagogy, develop leadership skills, and optimize use of resources to meet students' needs.
The Manager of Quality Instructional Materials reports to the project Director and will be responsible for developing and executing a strategy to support districts in the strong implementation of high-quality curricular resources. The Special Projects Division was created by the Deputy Commissioner of Academics and the Commissioner to act as an incubator within the agency to pilot innovative ideas and take them to scale across Texas.
Please note that a resume and tailored cover letter is required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants who are strongly being considered for employment must submit to a national criminal history background check.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Development and execution of a statewide quality curricular resource implementation strategy to support districts' use of high quality materials
- Project management of all implementation activities, including performance tracking towards a set of shared academic achievement outcomes
- Management of all implementation stakeholders as it relates to the project, including but not limited to all supporting technical assistance vendors and publishers
- Oversight of project related internal operations including budget, legislative requirements and other agency requirements
- Development and execution of stakeholder engagement and change management plans required to successfully support implementation strategy
Education: Requires graduation from an accredited four-year college or university. Advanced degree in education or business administration is preferred.
Experience: At least five (5) years of experience in one or more of the following areas: state programs; the field of education; management, analysis and strategic planning; experience with publishing companies preferred.
Substitutions: Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year for year basis.
- Effective communication with a variety of stakeholders specifically as it relates to the vision for what constitutes the adoption and implementation of high quality instructional materials
- Management of projects toward outcomes, recognizing the need to prototype and iterate along the way and expecting the ultimate design to look different than the original idea
- Proven track record of exemplary management practices of vendors and stakeholders
- Adherence to accountability best practices to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations while meeting program goals
- Ability to prioritize work, operate effectively with minimal supervision, take appropriate initiative, and exercise independent judgment
- Prior experience using data analysis software and communication tools including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Access and/or Tableau
- Development of effective working relationships with diverse individuals and groups including district administrators, teachers, ESC personnel, education experts, publishers and all other relevant stakeholders
- Success managing details and the day-to-day implementation of multiple projects simultaneously and seamlessly
- Willingness to fill a need, solve a problem, anticipates risks, and demonstrate initiative that strategically advances efforts
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback and continuously improve
- Supports other projects as requested by the Executive Director of Special Projects
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or veteran status, unless an applicant is entitled to the veteran's preference.
Additional Military Crosswalk (occupational specialty code) information can be accessed here.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires all new employees to present proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States. The Texas Education Agency uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility.
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal background check, prior to being offered employment by the Agency.