Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
DPS - IOD - Custodian-HQ
at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
SUBMITTED THROUGH WORK IN TEXAS: Work In Texas (WIT) applicants must complete the supplemental questions to be considered for the posting. In order to complete the supplemental questions please go to CAPPS Recruit to register or login and access your profile. Go to CAPPS Recruit to Sign In https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
*** THIS IS A PART-TIME POSITION, HOURS MAY VARY DEPENDING ON BUSINESS NEED. ***
Perform moderately complex (journey-level) custodial work in an assigned area. Work involves cleaning and caring for Department of Public Safety buildings and premises; maintaining custodial equipment; requesting supplies. May train others. Work under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
The following Military Occupational Specialty codes are generally applicable to this position. Applicants must fully complete the summary of experience to determine if minimum qualifications are met. 8000, 8A200
1. Perform general custodial functions such as sweeping; mopping; dusting; and cleaning windows, light fixtures, and carpet.
2. Perform restroom maintenance, replenish supplies and apply cleaning chemicals as appropriate.
3. Clean office furniture, walls, and windows; empty trash; and clean offices in entirety.
4. Clean, dust, and disinfect areas such as restrooms, offices, and other facilities.
5. Performs carpet maintenance and care.
6. Clean drapes, upholstery, and clean and repair venetian blinds and curtain rods.
7. Assist in moving furniture due to cleaning, office rearrangements, or special events.
8. Operate floor maintenance equipment, including buffers, strippers, vacuums and extractors.
9. May perform minor equipment repair on custodial equipment.
10. May maintain and restock custodial supply closets.
11. May perform limited yard work including, but not limited to: mowing, trimming shrubs in designated areas only, edging, pulling weeds, sweeping sidewalks, picking up trash on the ground, cleaning courtyard areas, and empty trash cans/ash trays near proximity of the building.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Education - Graduation from High School or equivalent preferred.
Experience – Six (6) months of responsible work experience in cleaning methods, materials and equipment used in custodial work preferred.
Licensure and/or Certification - Must possess a valid driver license from state of residence.
Custodial Knowledge - Ability to adequately perform assigned custodial work. Ability to use modern electrical equipment such as floor maintenance machines, high speed buffers, carpet shampooers, extractors, automatic scrubbers, pressure washers, etc.. Ability to read and understand warning labels on caustic cleaning chemicals.
Regulatory Knowledge - Working knowledge of, or the ability to rapidly assimilate information related to TXDPS, State, and Federal regulations, legislation, guidelines, policies and procedures. Working knowledge of cleaning techniques and procedures, and of inventory control principles and methods.
Automation – Must be capable of operating standard office computer to input timecards and manage business e-mail (limited knowledge of MS Office/Internet)or the ability to learn this skill.
Analytical Skills - Must be analytical, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task without sacrificing accuracy or timeliness. Ability to analyze problems, identify causative and apply actions to effectively resolve current issues and prevent recurrences of problem conditions.
Interpersonal Skills – Must exercise excellent interpersonal skills – position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, diplomacy, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working/professional relationships with internal and external customers.
Organizational Skills - Must be organized, flexible, and able to prioritize in a multi-demand and constantly changing environment. Ability to work independently; and to understand and effectively apply complex oral and written instructions and procedures.
Confidentiality – Must be able to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
Schedule - Availability for after-hour and weekend work is required for special projects.
PHYSICAL and/or ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and environmental demands described here are representative of those encountered and/or necessary for the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Environment: Indoors, and outdoors seasonally;
• Ambulatory skills, e.g. stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel;
• Ability to climb ladders;
• Hand-eye coordination and arm/hand/finger dexterity;
• Ability to speak, hear, smell and exercise visual acuity;
• Ability to transfer weights of fifty (50) pounds anticipated for this position;
• Driving requirements: Occasional frequency.
State of Texas Benefits and Retirement Information: https://www.ers.texas.gov/
DPS employee who is selected for a position in their current salary group and state title will be transferred with no salary change.
DPS employee who is selected for a position in their current salary group with a new state title may receive an increase up to 3.4%.
Salary is contingent upon qualifications and is subject to salary administration and budgetary restrictions.
DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS WE DO NOT ACCEPT TELEPHONE CALLS. ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
State of Texas retirees may be rehired for full-time, non-commissioned positions only under very specific circumstances.