Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
CPA - MVS Performance Specialist/Capacity Planner (Reopened)
at Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Candidates that previously applied for this position, need not reapply. Your application is still being considered.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH WORK IN TEXAS:
Work In Texas (WIT) applicants must complete the supplemental questions to be considered for the posting. In order to complete the supplemental questions please go to CAPPS Recruit to register or login and access your profile. Go to CAPPS Recruit to Sign In (Link: https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en)
All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
DIVISION: Information Technology
Performs advanced and/or supervisory (senior-level) computer systems analysis work. Performs advanced and complex mainframe computer systems analysis with emphasis on mainframe performance reporting and capacity planning. Work involves analysis of mainframe performance issues with emphasis on DB2 performance. Will work with system analysts, application programmers, database administrators and vendors to resolve technical performance issues discovered and problems as they arise. Work also involves maintaining resource utilization data for capacity planning. Performs performance analysis and calculates financial impacts on mainframe applications and system resources. Produces mainframe capacity planning estimates as requested for possible new workloads. Required to work occasional overtime as needed and also participate in on-call duties in a rotational basis. Works under minimal direction with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Work hours are 8:00AM to 5:00PM, 40-hour week, Monday – Friday. Occasionally will work additional hours including weekends and holidays. Performs rotating on-call duties related to mainframe performance and capacity planning support (24 x 7). Hours may change based on business need. Work from home is occasionally allowed with management approval. Work on-site during normal Sunday 5 a.m. - 10 a.m. maintenance window as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Proactively monitors job performance to determine cause of long running jobs. Performs analysis on SQL and Db2 buffer pools to locate potential change for improvement.
Designs, writes, runs, and maintains system utilization reports utilizing SMF, MXG, or other vendor derived data.
Installs and tests new releases of MXG and other performance and capacity planning. Aids in maintaining the MXG Performance Data Base using SAS.
Performs mainframe disaster recovery activities for section including but not limited to, participating in disaster recovery hot site exercises and updating documentation.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field.
• Six (6) years' experience as mainframe performance and capacity planner within a z/OS environment or six (6) years' experience as a z/OS Systems Programmer within the last 10 years.
• Experience with mainframe system software support within a z/OS environment.
• Experience installing mainframe (z/OS) system software.
• Experience with mainframe Utilities
• Knowledge of z/OS Db2
• Knowledge of CICS
One (1) additional year of experience working as a Performance and Capacity Planner in a z/OS environment may substitute for thirty (30) semester hours of educational requirement with a maximum substitution of 120 semester hours (four years).
The physical demands described here are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to primarily perform sedentary office work; however, mobility (standing and walking) is routinely required to carry out some duties. It requires extensive computer use. The job also requires normal cognitive abilities requiring the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies. It requires the stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements are required for reading printed materials and computer screens and communicating with internal and external customers.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• IBM mainframe (System z) Operating Systems
• IBM mainframe (System z) Utilities and OEM Systems Support Products
• z/OS Db2
• IBM utility programs and products including SMF/RMF, IDCAMS, CLISTS/REXX, SORT, TSO, and JCL
• MXG or equivalent
• CA Endevor or equivalent
• Control/M or equivalent
• Teaching technical issues to developers
• Mainframe software installation techniques and methodologies.
• time management in order to complete multiple assignments within designated deadlines
• effectively conveying information and encouraging an exchange of ideas (Communication)
• identifying, defining and solving problems (Problem Solving)
• learn and conform to IT standards, policies and procedures
• learn and conform to IT process improvement initiatives
• plan, test and implement software and hardware upgrades
• work in a team environment or independently and handle multiple projects
• communicate effectively with vendors and resolve software and hardware issues
• manage work and time efficiently in order to complete multiple assignments in a timely manner without compromising accuracy
• work from home to respond to on-call issues
• work with others to achieve a common goal (Teamwork)
• adjust to changing workplace demands (Adaptability)
• meet the needs and expectations of internal and external customers (Customer Service)
• effectively demonstrate skill and ability to perform the specific job duties and tasks as defined by a job description (Technical Competence)
• be dependable, meet deadlines and produce high-quality work (Workload Management/Productivity)
IMPORTANT NOTES TO THE CANDIDATE:
Candidates may be asked to participate in a skills demonstration and/or presentation.
Salary is contingent upon qualifications and is subject to salary administration and budgetary restrictions.
CPA employees in the same job classification, if selected, will be laterally transferred with no increase in salary. (An example might be an Accounts Examiner III in Revenue Administration who moves to an Accounts Examiner III in the Enforcement division.)
Complete copies of college transcripts must be furnished to the divisional hiring representative at the time of the interview for positions requiring a college degree, and/or specific educational credits.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields of 25, 25B, IT, 255A, 275 or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications. Please call Human Resources, CPA Veterans Liaison at 512-475-3560/800-531-5441 for more information or assistance.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be found at: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx
We fully recognize, honor and enforce the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) and encourage opportunities to hire Veterans, Reservists and Guardsmen.
Unless otherwise indicated on specific postings, regular attendance is an essential job requirement of all positions. Your application for employment with the Comptroller of Public Accounts may subject you to a criminal background check. All positions requiring a degree and/or licensing require proof of degree and/or license at time of interview. If you are scheduled for an interview and require any reasonable accommodation in our interview process, please inform the hiring representative who calls you to schedule your interview. Whenever possible, please give the hiring representative sufficient time to consider and respond to your request. Only applicants scheduled for interviews will be contacted.
Thank you for considering employment at the Comptroller of Public Accounts! The Comptroller's office is an equal employment opportunity employer.