SWCA Environmental Consultants
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Environmental Specialist – Wetland Scientist
at SWCA Environmental Consultants
- Requisition Number
- # of Openings
- Office Location
- US-TX-Austin | US-TX-San Antonio
- Natural Resources/Biology/Ecology
- Hire Type
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an employee-owned company of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance. We are expanding our team in Austin, and we are looking for a dynamic individual who is enthusiastic, independent, and motivated.
We are seeking an Environmental Specialist – Wetland Scientist to assist with execution of projects in Texas and potentially other regions. This position will be involved in a variety of biological studies, including conducting biological evaluations and assessments, aquatic resources delineations, and vegetation baseline studies. The applicant should be able to work independently for 40 or more hours per week, on a sometimes unpredictable and fluid schedule. The successful candidate will be expected to accurately complete data collection, carry out field-based surveys and monitoring activities, coordinate with project and office managers, and complete other tasks as assigned. This is a regular, full-time position, and the applicant should be located in, or be willing to relocate to, Austin, Texas.
What you will accomplish
- Lead field crews and collect field data during natural resources surveys, including aquatic resources delineations, botanical surveys, and habitat assessments in accordance with appropriate regulatory guidelines.
- Use topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and other tools to determine exact locations of project areas.
- Prepare field equipment, plan field logistics, and provide oversight of survey implementation and data management.
- Operate SWCA vehicles safely (ability to drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads) and follow all required safety protocols.
- Work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Take initiative, resolve problems, and communicate with team members to ensure tasks are completed in the most effective manner.
- Prepare natural resources reports and prepare environmental permit applications, including aquatic resources delineation reports and pre-construction notifications to agency standards.
Experience and qualifications for success
- B.S. in biology, ecology, environmental science, environmental management, or a closely related scientific field is required.
- Knowledge of the fauna and flora of Texas and ability to correctly identify wildlife and vegetation of Texas.
- A minimum of 2 years of leading field crews conducting aquatic resources delineation using U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wetland delineation manuals.
- Must be able to use GPS units with minimal training.
- Valid driver's license.
- Ability and willingness to travel (i.e., must be able to travel, sometimes at moment’s notice, and for extended periods) and work long hours in harsh conditions.
- A minimum of 2 years preparing natural resources reports/permits associated with Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act and/or Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act.
- Preference for graduate of a Society of Wetland Scientists approved 40-hour wetland delineation course.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.