St Edward's University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
On-Call Police Telecommunications Operator
at St Edward's University
- Office of Campus Safety - University Police
- Austin, TX, USA
- Part Time
On-Call Police Telecommunications Operator
(Not eligible for benefits)
Overview: Perform responsibilities as a Part Time Telecommunications Operator for St. Edward's University. Responsible for directing the activities of field personnel and providing patrol units with actionable information, and related law enforcement activities, consistent with the university mission, vision, and operating principles.
Nature of Position: On-Call Telecommunications Operator. This position works various hours. Must be able to work shift work and occasional overtime (evenings and weekends) for special events such as sporting games, commencement ceremonies, festivals, guest speakers, vacancies, coverage for full-time staff leave, etc.
- Receive and provide response to emergency and informational telephone calls
- Initiate and receive public safety radio traffic using a multi-band law enforcement network to dispatch police officers; monitor frequencies of area law enforcement agencies; maintain logs according to regulations.
- Thinks and acts promptly in emergencies, analyzes situation quickly and accurately and takes or suggests an effective course of action. Simultaneously operates multi-line phone system, police radio and computer aided dispatch system
- Maintains records of incoming calls for assistance and all police/patrol activities.
- Dispatches on duty officers to situations requiring police response.
- Monitors CCTV system.
- Completes appropriate reports.
- Communicates with other police/fire/ambulance agencies, and operates various computer terminals including the CAD, "Computer Aided Dispatch" system. Performs related duties as required.
- Currently licensed as a Telecommunications Operator as defined by TCOLE or eligible to reactivate and obtain a TCOLE Telecommunications license.
- At least 2 years prior public safety dispatch experience required.
- High school graduation or GED.
- Ability to obtain and maintain State of Texas mandated licenses & certifications and training requirements as directed by Federal Communications Commission, State of Texas and Federal agencies and Departmental policy and regulations.
- Must pass an extensive background investigation, fingerprinting, and psychological test
- Not currently under indictment for any criminal offense;
- Never been convicted of an offense above a Class C misdemeanor
- Never been convicted of any family violence offense;
- Ability to use a multi-line phone system.
- Basic computer knowledge of Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Thinks and acts promptly; using good judgment in emergencies; analyzes situation quickly and accurately and takes or suggests an effective course of action while maintaining a calm demeanor.
- Must be able to communicate and be understood clearly in person, on the telephone, by radio and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to comply with workplace guidelines and attendance requirements.
- Ability and skilled in the use of police radio equipment, telephones, and accurate data entry.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Bilingual speaking in Spanish
- Prior University or College Law Enforcement Commination's Experience
This position is part-time / on-call and is not eligible for benefits.
The selection process is comprised of multiple steps in which a series of tests, examinations, and background investigations are administered. A rigorous and challenging selection process will identify individuals best qualified for employment with the department.
Step 1 - Application for employment on stedwards.applicantpro.com
Step 2 - Written examination
Step 3 - Turn in Personal History Statement
Step 4 - Background Investigation
Step 5 - Oral Interview Board
Step 6 Command Staff Interview
Step 7 - Drug screen and psychological testing *
Step 8 - Job Offer
*indicates order may be changed due to scheduling
Part-Time / On Call Telecommunication Operators should be reasonably available to respond to the university in emergencies and report for duty in emergency situations such as man-made or natural disasters. The position is considered "Tier 1 / Mission Critical" and the department is organized along a standard law enforcement model. All Telecommunication Operators must wear a uniform or business casual attire on duty, are subject to inspection, and are part of a formal chain of command.
State License/Commission information:
As a temporary on-call telecommunication operator for the University, you are required to provide evidence of your current Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Telecommunicator License and which law enforcement agency (if any) holds your license. If your license is not held by another law enforcement agency (or if it is/will be affected by an employment status change), prior to (and contingent to) your start of employment (or continued employment after the effective date of the employment status change), the University will complete all necessary application and review processes associated with holding your license.
All Telecommunication Operators are responsible for keeping their license active as outlined in TCOLE regulations and to alert the University about any changes to license status.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We currently are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.