St Edward's University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
On-Call Peace Officer
at St Edward's University
- Office of Campus Safety - University Police
- Austin, TX, USA
- Part Time
On-Call Peace Officer
(not eligible for benefits)
Perform responsibilities as a Part Time Peace Officer for St. Edward's University. Performs police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation, and related law enforcement activities, consistent with the university mission, vision, and operating principles.
Nature of Position:
On-Call Peace Officer (Pool Position). This position works various hours. Must be able to work shift work and occasional overtime (evenings and weekends) for special events such as sporting games, commencement ceremonies, festivals, guest speakers, vacancies, coverage for full-time staff leave, etc.
- Represent the university in a professional and courteous manner.
- Pro-actively patrol or work a fixed post while protecting the property of St. Edward's University to prevent crime, maintain the peace, and investigate criminal activities that may occur.
- Respond to emergency & non-emergency radio calls and investigate violations of the law and university policies & regulations.
- Enforce all applicable laws and university regulations.
- Conduct follow up investigations of crimes committed during assigned shift.
- Prepare cases for presentation in court and testify as a witness when called.
- Give directions, information and reasonable aid to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Unlock and secure facilities as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Valid Peace Officer License issued by TCOLE.
- Be 21 years or older at time of employment; a U.S. citizen,
- Possess a valid Texas Class C Driver's License, and have a good driving record (in compliance with university insurance carrier).
- No convictions of a class B or higher misdemeanor or its equivalent
- Good verbal and written communication skills; skill in operating computer systems
- Not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm.
- Be of good moral character, having temperate and industrious habits; be able to learn the applicable laws, policies, and departmental rules and regulations;
- Be able to follow verbal and written instructions;
- Be able to work flexible hours, rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays
- Must be in good health with the ability to pass a Physical Agility Test.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Ability to complete required Field Training Program.
- Bilingual speaking in Spanish
- Prior University or College Law Enforcement Commination's Experience
This position is part-time / on-call and is not eligible for benefits.
The selection process is comprised of multiple steps in which a series of tests, examinations, and background investigations are administered. A rigorous and challenging selection process will identify individuals best qualified for employment with the department.
Step 1 - Application for employment on stedwards.applicantpro.com
Step 2 - Written examination
Step 3 - Turn in Personal History Statement
Step 4 - Background Investigation
Step 5 - Oral Interview Board
Step 6 Command Staff Interview
Step 7 - Drug screen and psychological testing *
Step 8 - Job Offer
*indicates order may be changed due to scheduling
Part-Time / On Call Telecommunication Operators should be reasonably available to respond to the university in emergencies and report for duty in emergency situations such as man-made or natural disasters. The position is considered "Tier 1 / Mission Critical" and the department is organized along a standard law enforcement model. All Telecommunication Operators must wear a uniform or business casual attire on duty, are subject to inspection, and are part of a formal chain of command.
State License/Commission information:
As a temporary on-call telecommunication operator for the University, you are required to provide evidence of your current Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Telecommunicator License and which law enforcement agency (if any) holds your license. If your license is not held by another law enforcement agency (or if it is/will be affected by an employment status change), prior to (and contingent to) your start of employment (or continued employment after the effective date of the employment status change), the University will complete all necessary application and review processes associated with holding your license.
All Telecommunication Operators are responsible for keeping their license active as outlined in TCOLE regulations and to alert the University about any changes to license status.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We currently are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.