Southwest Key Programs
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Safety Coordinator- Austin, TX
at Southwest Key Programs
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Risk & Safety
The Safety Coordinator functions as a collaborative partner to the program leadership team and program employees at their assigned programs. This individual will provide professional safety expertise and safety program support in areas including but not limited to employee, client, and facility safety; safety training; incident and accident investigations; motor vehicle driver and fleet safety; and, OSHA regulatory and other licensing compliance. The Safety Coordinator will be the primary point of contact in the administration of risk and safety policies and procedures and programs’ safety needs and concerns. The Safety Coordinator will assist with executing the Organization’s and department’s overall risk and safety strategy
- Function as a resource to program management and staff to communicate risk and safety policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
- Strategize and collaborate with program management and program staff to support the risk and safety needs of assigned programs.
- Executes and maintains OSHA-related regulatory programs and documentation for assigned programs.
- Proactively implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other regulatory, licensing and oversight agencies
- Conduct accident and incident investigations, responds to safety issues in collaboration with site management, and provides a resolution plan for employees’ safety complaints and concerns.
- Monitors and follows up with management and employees on action plans to correct any identified safety hazards or safety concerns.
- Collaborate with SWK’s Claim Coordinator for the management of assigned programs worker’s compensation matters.
- Audits, analyzes, trends, and actively reduces the occurrence of work related injuries and claims at assigned programs through the creation and implementation of appropriate and relevant safety training and initiatives.
- Conducts safety meetings and trainings in both English and Spanish.
- Fleet Management and Driver Safety management at assigned program and region.
- Evaluates processes to assess risk and employee adherence to company safety policies and safety regulations.
- Manages the regular preparation of relevant safety reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports.
- Proactively identifies areas requiring safety interventions to enhance the organization’s compliance with safety standards and protocols.
- Conducts safety observations and evaluate risks as job duties are being performed at assigned programs.
- Provides training and support to programs when Risk and Safety initiatives are initiated to encourage compliance and effectiveness.
- Assists with the development of department processes to aid the Risk and Safety Department to become more operationally efficient under the direction of the Director of Risk Management.
- Complies with federal, state and local legal requirements by being knowledgeable of existing and new legislation, ensuring adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Able to carry out the essential functions of this job (with or without reasonable accommodation) without posing specific, current risk of substantial harm to health and safety of self and others.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, or participating in professional societies.
- Able to manage and participate in cross-functional relationships along with the ability to communicate with all levels of management and employees.
- Demonstrates orientation to detail and organization but able to grasp big-picture concepts.
- Has excellent telephone and customer service skills including professional and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrates superior time management, planning, and organizational skills, including sensitivity to urgent matters.
- Able to react to change productively, grasp new concepts, and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Ability to anticipate potential safety issues in advance to mitigate operational disruptions.
- Appreciates the importance of maintaining confidentiality of employee, client, and organization information.
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity at all times.
- Ability to function independently, as well as part of a team.
- Participate in and comply with all meetings, assignments, process improvement, and quality improvement initiatives as needed by assigned program and as assigned by supervisor.
- Must be available to travel for training and meetings in other cities, states, SWK sites, and community sites as needed in order to support and provide, as needed, the required training and implementation of new risk initiatives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum of an Associate degree in OSHA or a related safety field or Bachelor’s degree in another field with 2 years of safety coordinator experience is required.
- Minimum of 2 years safety coordinator experience.
- Certification as a Safety Professional (CSP, CET, HSE, or ASP) preferred.
- OSHA certification in General Industry required.
- Superior working knowledge of OSHA General Industry standards, state safety statues and local municipal and licensing safety regulations.
- Working knowledge of State worker’s compensation laws and procedures preferred.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs to include, but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Demonstrated proficiency with various technologies along with the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Experience organizing and managing a diverse range of assignments and projects with high efficiency, yet thorough attention to detail and follow through with short deadlines.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents, such as letters, email communication, safety rules, operating instructions and procedure manuals in oral, written or diagram form.
- Must be able to develop, write and present detailed professional safety reports, materials, and correspondence.
- Must be Bilingual (English/Spanish) and able to read, write, communicate and train in both English and Spanish.
While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee must be able to access all components of workstation, reach with hands and arms and utilize other equipment. Frequent typing, writing, bending and twisting. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds, and frequent walking, standing and climbing of stairs or ladders in all weather conditions. Frequent driving to multiple facilities and cities with 80% of job requiring local travel to provide support to assigned programs.
General office environment with frequent site visits in an environment with a large number of minor children. A busy and noisy environment with many unscheduled interruptions. Frequent computer use at workstation for extended periods as well as the monitoring of facilities in all types of weather. Appropriate safety attire for indoor and outdoor duties is required.