Southwest Key Programs
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Health and Safety Manager
at Southwest Key Programs
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Risk & Safety
The Bilingual Health and Safety Manager is a safety specialist who will support and evaluate multi-site workplaces to ensure compliance with the standards of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other regulatory and licensing agencies. This position will help design strategies to correct any areas of safety noncompliance. The focus of this position is the coordination, administration, and promotion of safety programs impacting the organization’s operations, its employees and clients, focused on reducing employee and client injuries from incidents and accidents. This position will oversee the operations of the headquarters and regional safety team to ensure that the organization’s operations are safe for employees and clients in all lines of business operations. This position will engage employees and leadership across all business lines and will create a positive and collaborative safety culture. This individual will provide professional safety expertise and safety program support in areas including but not limited to employee, client, and facility safety; safety training; incident and accident investigations; motor vehicle driver and fleet safety; school safety; and, OSHA regulatory and other licensing compliance.
- Supervises, trains, and mentors the organization’s safety team at multi-site locations.
- Recommends updates of organization’s operations, maintenance, and safety policies, and procedures in order to maintain safe operating and working conditions.
- Conducts safety audits and inspections of facilities and equipment and recommends procedures to correct violations or enhance safety.
- Establishes, coordinates, and conducts safety-training programs to prevent or reduce workplace injuries and to prevent damage to facilities and equipment.
- Reviews plans and specifications for facility modifications, equipment purchases, and contractor work practices to ensure compliance with prevailing safety standards and safe operations and maintenance requirements.
- Responsible for development, updating, implementation and review of the effectiveness of the organization’s Safety Program Plan and assuring compliance with all applicable regulations and guidelines.
- Provides analysis of key safety issues, safety policies and procedures. Participates on internal and external committees and select committees involving system safety.
- Provides management direction for major hazard assessment, safety policy development, comprehensive accident investigations, compliance audits, and comprehensive industrial and safety inspections.
- Develops, analyzes, and manages safety performance data.
- Prepares monthly safety performance reports
- Coordinates with operating departments to establish annual objectives for safety performance indicators.
- Serves as Chair of the Safety and Security Committee Meeting and acts as liaison with safety/training regulatory and oversight agencies.
- Participates in inter-departmental meetings to ensure organizational cohesiveness.
- Coordinate emergency preparedness standards for the organization.
- Interface with other public agencies, associations and groups, assuring organization’s safety standards are reflective of the latest industry trends, regulations, and technologies.
- Responsible for incorporating safety into all aspects of job functions.
- Assists with the development of department processes to aid the Risk and Safety Department to become more operationally efficient under the direction of the Director of Risk Management.
- Complies with federal, state and local legal requirements by being knowledgeable of existing and new legislation, ensuring adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Able to carry out the essential functions of this job (with or without reasonable accommodation) without posing specific, current risk of substantial harm to health and safety of self and others.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, or participating in professional societies.
- Able to manage and participate in cross-functional relationships along with the ability to communicate with all levels of management and employees.
- Demonstrates orientation to detail and organization but able to grasp big-picture concepts.
- Has excellent telephone and customer service skills including professional and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrates superior time management, planning, and organizational skills, including sensitivity to urgent matters.
- Ability to anticipate potential safety issues in advance to mitigate operational disruptions.
- Appreciates the importance of maintaining confidentiality of employee, client, and organization information.
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity at all times.
- Ability to function independently, as well as part of a team.
- Must be available to travel to other cities, states, SWK sites, and community sites as needed.
- Able to react to change productively, grasp new concepts, and handle other essential tasks as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a university of recognized standing with extensive coursework in Occupational Health and Safety, Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or other closely related discipline or other combination of education and experience to warrant equivalency recognition and at least four (4) years of experience with directing Health and Safety, or an Associate’s degree with the same work and eight (8) years of experience. Extensive experience performing related occupational health, safety and construction oversight and coordination.
- Minimum of 3 years of proven managerial experience.
- Preferably, some experience in performing occupational safety coordination for a multi-site organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills at all levels of the organization and the ability to convey information to employees, mangers and contractors. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical information, and effectively compose and edit technical documents.
- Superior working knowledge of OSHA General Industry standards, state safety statues and local municipal and licensing safety regulations.
- Working knowledge of State worker’s compensation laws and procedures preferred.
- OSHA certification in General Industry required.
- Certification as a Safety Professional (CSP, CET, HSE, or ASP) preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs to include, but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Demonstrated proficiency with various technologies along with the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Experience organizing and managing a diverse range of assignments and projects with high efficiency, yet thorough attention to detail and follow through with short deadlines.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to develop, write and present detailed professional safety reports, materials, and correspondence.
- Must be Bilingual (English/Spanish) and able to read, write, communicate and train in both English and Spanish
While performing the responsibilities of this job, the employee must be able to access all components of workstation, reach with hands and arms and utilize other equipment. Frequent typing, writing, bending and twisting. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds, and frequent walking, standing and climbing of stairs or ladders in all weather conditions. Frequent overnight travel (50%) both in state and out of state.
General office environment with site visits in an environment with a large number of minor children. A busy and noisy environment with many unscheduled interruptions. Frequent computer use at workstation for extended periods as well as the monitoring of facilities in all types of weather. Appropriate attire for indoor and outdoor duties is required