Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Field Installation Technician
at Planar Systems
Remote Sales/Service: Austin, TX
Are you ready to put your skills to work in a dynamic and growing company? Are you passionate about technology and want to bring video, imagery, and data to life on big electronic canvases? Are you ready to make a difference and assist the Planar team as we help shape the way people think about and use display technology now and into the future? If you love creating amazing visual display installations, resulting in stunning environments all over the country, this job is for you!
We are seeking a Field Installation Technician who is responsible for performing field service, including installation and onsite service support, on Planar hardware and software products. This includes installation, troubleshooting and repair for customer installations of Planar hardware and software products. Works collaboratively with engineers to obtain technical skills and feedback in order to resolve field product issues.
What You'll Do:
- Install displays, mounting hardware, A/V equipment, and interconnectivity equipment at customer locations independently or with a team
- Maintain and service installed products at customer locations
- Provide installation, setup and teardown of product for demos and trade shows
- Report and escalate product issues and resolution to appropriate personnel
- Work with Technical Support and Engineering teams to resolve issues when standard troubleshooting and replacement of hardware does not fix the problem
- Provide training and certification to integrators on site when appropriate conditions apply.
- Provide accurate notes and documentation on completed projects
- Provide backup support to the Tech Support/Helpdesk to provide answers to customers' technical requests via phone and email
- Communicate end-user feedback and issues to appropriate personnel, and proactively propose solutions or appropriate actions
- Ability to maintain acceptable standards of office conduct
- Ability to come to work demonstrating timely and regular attendance
- Ability to handle stress effectively
- Ability to learn on the job in a fast-paced environment
Who You'll Work With:
- External Customers
- Engineering Team
- Technical Support Team
What You'll Need:
- Excellent interpersonal, telephone, customer service, time management, and decision-making skills essential
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate appropriate information to customers and team members in a professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing to provide documentation on completed installations
- Understanding of order process, escalation process, and ability to provide feedback to Project Manager
- Ability to effectively maintain professional appearance and demeanor in a variety of work environments
- Ability to work unsupervised while remaining efficient and productive, completing work in an exceptional manner
- Comfortable using standard hand tools
- Basic understanding of electronics, connectivity concepts
- General knowledge of HVAC and Power requirements
- Knowledge of various A/V cables including but not limited to HDMI and CAT 6
- Understanding of wiring schematics, measurements and system drawings.
- Must be able to read Visio and / or CAD drawings
- Ability to create Visio or CAD line drawings is desired
- 3rd party Control knowledge (Creston, AMX etc) is desired
- System integration experience is desired
- Government Clearance desired
- Comfortable working on a ladder for extended periods of time
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of the order process, escalation process, and providing project feedback to the Product Management team
- Mental ability to conduct on-going interpersonal interactions, analyze and solve problems essential
- Ability to actively participate in team development and team-oriented processes.
- Physical ability to use computer hardware/software required.
What You'll Need To Bring:
- Associates degree or equivalent in a technical field
- 2 to 4 years of professional work experience in a technical role, preferably in an A/V company
This position requires the incumbent to work in an environment where there may regular exposure to the following:
- General M-F with occasional weekend activity, hours are dependent upon the project and site access and often extend beyond the normal workday
- Position requires heavy lifting
- Ability to travel extensively and work substantial overtime
- Scheduling flexibility based on business needs
- Working with others in a team setting
At Planar, we believe that employing a diverse group of highly skilled employees ensures a competitive advantage and enhances our ability to deliver superior products and service to our customers. Planar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, mental or physical disability, military service or status, or other protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need alternative methods for applying, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
Planar participates in e-verify. Candidates selected for hire may be required to complete a pre-employment background check and drug screen.