Public Consulting Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Systems Engineer
at Public Consulting Group
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Information Technology
Public Consulting Group, Inc. (PCG) is a leading public sector solutions implementation and operations improvement firm that partners with health, education, and human services agencies to improve lives. Founded in 1986 and headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, PCG has over 2,500 professionals in more than 60 offices worldwide—all committed to delivering solutions that change lives for the better. The firm has four designated practice areas with extensive experience in all 50 states, clients in six Canadian provinces, and a growing practice in Europe. Often combining resources from two or more practice areas, PCG offers clients a multidisciplinary approach to solve their challenges or pursue opportunities. To learn more, visit www.publicconsultinggroup.com.
We are currently searching for a Senior DevOps Engineer reporting to the Infrastructure Manager in PCG's Information Technologies Services (ITS) Group who’s ready to help us improve our customer experience by building functional systems that bring our business to new heights. As part of our global ITS organization, you will provide DevOps support to the entire organization. You will support and maintain scripts, devops processes among various all products and services to ensure that services, applications, and code in repositories can be automatically deployed to various environments. As a DevOps Engineer, you’ll also be working in conjunction with like-minded departments such as software engineering to deploy these new products and manage our infrastructure, associated processes and systems. Depending on the needs of the ITS Group, you may also be asked to provide support as Tier 3 to the IT Help Desk. Provide network devops scripts and support functions. You will work with our corporate office and other ITS groups to monitor and maintain a high level of functionality. It’ll definitely help for you to be detail-oriented and a skilled problem solver, because you’ll also be helping us to streamline our processes—and automating them where applicable. Act as a liaison to consultants, employees, and others. You will work with consultants, project managers, developers, architects, and IT service providers to deploy their applications to physical and virtual infrastructure to support new applications in a redundant, fault-tolerant, and cost-effective manner.
- Manage PCG’s devops infrastructure and effectively manage and work on projects as necessary while lending support to the other practice area team
- Experience in Blue/Green, Canary, Big Bang deployments in Production environments
- Experience in building Ci/CD pipelines for .NET, Java applications and publish automated reports on bug tracking
- Actively troubleshoot any issues that arise during testing and production, debug and solving issues before launch
- Perform periodic architecture reviews and updates
- Experience in scripting in various languages like python, PowerShell, bash etc.
- Experience in working with CI and CD tools, and source control such as GIT, SVN etc.
- Ability to decipher design documents, technical specifications and convert them into code
- Automate internal operational processes as needed, with accuracy and in compliance with our security requirements
- Prioritize and escalate issues to PCG level 2 and 3 support as defined in the Governance process
- Access software updates, knowledge bases, and FAQ resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution
- Manage code deployments, fixes, updates and related processes while working with open-source technologies as needed
- Follow best practice ITIL process, seeking continuous improvement of systems and processes. Act proactively to identify areas for improvement
- Record and track support incidents and requests. Escalate if necessary, and work with appropriate stakeholder until ticket is resolved. Ensure that all decisions and actions taken, through to final resolution have been captured
- Test fixes to ensure that problems have been adequately resolved.
- Familiarity with databases, stored procedures, and various database constructs
- Provide training to department staff members as office team grows.
- Review IT vendor's proposals and invoices to ensure that contracted services are being delivered and managed in the most cost-effective manner possible.
- Research and recommend software, hardware, and tools to meet business objectives (improve operational efficiencies, reduce costs, and provide high levels of service availability)
- Work off-hours or be on-call if required by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering or a relevant field
- A minimum of 5 years of related work experience
- Experience in Agile methodologies
- Strong experience with databases such as SQL, MS SQL, MySQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Redis, Cassandra, and/or Mongo
- Experience in TDD (test driven development) / BDD (behavioral driven development)
- Experience in working with Puppet or Chef for automation and configurations
- More than two years of experience in a DevOps Engineer role (or similar role); experience in software development and infrastructure development is a plus
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain protocol and processes with team and management
- Experience with project management and workflow tools such as Agile, Jira, ServiceDesk, Scrum/Kanban/SAFe, etc.
- Current with industry trends, IT ops and industry best practices, and able to identify the ones we should implement
- Time and project management skills, with the capability to prioritize and multitask as needed
- Solid team player
Additional Desired Skills
- Atlassian set of tools like JIRA, Bamboo, Confluence etc.
- Working knowledge of Netflix based tools like Zuul, Eureka and micro-services
- Familiarity with APM monitoring tools like AppDynamics or New Relic or DynaTrace etc.
- Experience with open-source technologies and cloud services