Nintendo of America Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Art Director - RETRO Studios
at Nintendo of America Inc.
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Directsart developed both internally and by third parties.
- Actsas a liaison between Art Team and Parent Company to support effective andconsistent communication.
- Collaborateswith Tech Art, Design, Engineering and Art teams to make recommendations anddecisions regarding overall art vision.
- Leadsand mentors managers and artists and serves as internal art critic, to achievequality targets.
- Evaluates,hires, and assigns talent for all art disciplines.
- Buildsand maintains effective art team structure
- Providesclear written and illustrated guidelines that communicate art vision to bothinternal and external teams
- Setsartistic vision and provides feedback and direction to further that vision
- Workswith Development Team to make sure art priorities are effectively defined andprocesses meet both artistic and scheduling goals.
- Proposescohesive and holistic solutions to problems.
- Providesday to day artistic feedback and mentorship of individual contributors andleads
- Handlesperformance evaluations, bonus reviews, career growth plans, and any necessarydisciplinary plans for direct reports
- Makesrecommendations for promotions for individuals within team
- Responsiblefor having 1-1 meetings to understand career goals for individuals in group
- Providesrecommendations to Development and Studio Management Groups regarding long-termstrategic planning, and shaping and cultivating studio culture.
*Thisjob description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended toidentify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the positionmay be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practiceor in writing.
- Experience working with artistsdefining attractive vision for AAA titles.
- Thorough understanding of interactiveentertainment methodology and the video game production pipeline.
- Experience leading a team with emphasiscollaborating with Senior and Executive level leadership.
- Extensive experience and knowledge ofart processes and production pipelines.
- Excellent eye for graphical quality andknowledge of techniques used to achieve visual targets.
- Ability to foster a dynamic andcollaborative team environment.
- Broad knowledge across all artdisciplines, including concept, character, animation, environment, VFX, UI,lighting, shading, and rendering.
- 10 years' experience in art productionfor interactive entertainment, including minimum of three product cycles as anartist.
- Previous experience managing ormentoring artists/animators through at least one complete production cycle asan Art Director.
- Excellent decision making capabilities.
- Experience working with outsourcingcompanies preferred.
- Effective written, verbal andinterpersonal skills.
- Undergraduate degree in art relatedsubject or equivalent