Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Media Editor (Chemistry)
at Macmillan Publishers
Senior Media Editor (Chemistry)
Macmillan Learning is a division of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, Late Nite Labs, Hayden-McNeil, and Dynamic Books. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC, d/b/a Macmillan Learning.
Macmillan Learning is looking for a Senior Media Editor for our Chemistry area in Austin, TX. The Senior Media Editor will report directly to the Director of Content – Physical Sciences.
The Senior Media Editor manages and advises (in conjunction with the program manager) on the creation and publication of digital and ancillary resources to support teaching and learning. The Senior Media Editor is an excellent and detail-oriented project manager, able to manage major projects and relationships independently. They will also be able to implement, monitor, and continually improve an editorial process that yields accurate and high quality digital resources for our users. They are a great communicator; collaborating effectively within the discipline editorial team, externally with authors and users, and cross-functionally with content development, sales, marketing, and technology to develop, implement, and troubleshoot new types of digital resources. Finally, they are also a good leader, helping media authors to prioritize tasks and to produce good work on schedule and on budget.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify, assess, hire, negotiate, manage, and correspond with multimedia vendors, authors and freelancers about multimedia products/content and projects that are currently or about to be underway and ensure the delivery of quality, on-time content and software for turnover to production.
- Plan, initiate, and oversee projects in coordination with Program Manager, Development Editor, Content Producer, Technology, and Production.
- Communicate clearly and collaboratively with other project stakeholders about status, issues, scheduling, and budget.
- Understand and share evolving information from Product, Engineering, and Program Management.
- Continually assess user needs and attend status and exploratory meetings with fellow editors, as well as digital product and marketing groups, to help plan the development of content that works effectively with necessary functionality.
- Understand and communicate clearly about the interdependencies of digital functionality and digital content.
- Make recommendations and implement changes to scheduling, budgets, or content based on information obtained about new functionality on the horizon.
- Initiate and collaborate on strategic positions of digital programs.
- Collaborate with marketing and sales personnel with customer-related inquiries and requests and providing copy, preliminary files, tables of contents, etc. for marketing and sales tools.
- Attend relevant conferences, sales presentations, and company meetings in order to promote products and gather market information.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- At least 2 years of editorial experience in educational publishing, with at least 1 year of media editorial experience.
- Backgrond in Chemistry preferred
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize effectively, work well in group problem-solving situations, and work within an approved budget.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and committed to quality; consistently looks for ways to improve and promote quality in assessing vendors/authors, ensuring diligent content development and QA, and monitoring and continually improving upon authorship guidelines.
- Exhibits excellent and varied oral and written communication styles for different audiences; Able to effectively manage authors and freelancers, talk with users of our products, and collaborate cross-functionally with a variety of internal stakeholders.
- Understanding of current media trends in higher education.
- Understanding of the interplay between digital content and platform functionality.