Lower Colorado River Authority
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Telecom Technician II/Sr
at Lower Colorado River Authority
- # Positions
At a senior level, performs duties in the field to plan, design, install, maintain and operate LCRA’s telecommunication networks which consist of digital trunked radio, microwave, and fiber technologies. Technologies may consist of Sonet, DWDM, MPLS, LAN/WAN, VoIP, and wireless network technologies that support LCRA’s Transmission , Water , Wholesale Power, and Enterprise Services; including hydromet, generation and substation operations. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance.
- Implements and maintains vendor specific operating and management software. Researches, analyzes and implements software patches or hardware changes.
- Installs and maintains field equipment with others. Interprets schematics, drawings and technical manuals necessary to install, repair and align equipment to specifications.
- Provides technical support to all telecom customers, technicians, analysts and engineers.
- Provide senior level analysis in the evaluation of new products and services. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May direct work and schedules of other staff members which include but not limited to equipment installations.
- Provides proactive diagnostic and analytic measures to ensure system reliability and overall system health.
- Identifies cost effective telecom solutions that meet stringent security and reliability requirements.
- Follows Telecom Incident and Change Management processes.
- Drafts, updates and follows detailed work instructions relating to telecom network maintenance.
- Develops and updates preventative maintenance programs. Ensures schedules and maintenance intervals are met.
- Acts as subject matter expert while working with vendors within approved Supply Management processes and procedures, documenting best practices and configuring network tools.
- Documents changes made to systems or equipment through appropriate communications and record keeping practices. Documents work into logs, files, system prints and other records and through communications, both verbal and written, with other team members and supervisors.
- Maintain a clean work area; office, shop, field sites and vehicle.
- Technicians in the tower crew climb towers up to 600 feet to install and maintain equipment.
- May perform trunked radio and radio system maintenance and installation.
- Performs work by traveling independently or with a small crew to various locations as scheduled.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
Four or more years of experience in electronics and/or telecommunications maintenance. A degree(s) in electronics technology, telecommunications technology or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.
- Degree(s) in electronics technology, telecommunications technology, computer science or relevant field
- Networking Certification in Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, Juniper or equivalent such as CCNA or NRS1
- Experience in microwave, SONET, DWDM, MPLS, and digital trunked radio