Hospital Corporation of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Certified Surgical Tech II / Sterile Processing - Days w/ Weekend Rotation
at Hospital Corporation of America
St. David's Medical Center is part of St. David'sHealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized in2014 with a MalcolmBaldrige National Quality Award. Founded in 1924, St. David'sMedical Center is a full-service medical center offering comprehensive medicalcare at three locations—St. David's Medical Center, HeartHospital of Austin and St. David's Georgetown Hospital.
Located in central Austin, St. David'sMedical Center includes a 350-bed acute care hospital and a 64- bedrehabilitation hospital providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care.It is home to the internationally renowned Texas Cardiac ArrhythmiaInstitute and St. David's Neuroscience & Spine Institute.The hospital provides a complete range of women's services, including itsacclaimed maternity unit, maternal-fetal medicine, a high-risk maternal andneonatal transport team, the region's largest and most sophisticated NeonatalIntensive Care Unit and TheBreast Center; complex surgical services; a comprehensive BariatricSurgery Center; and a 24-hour emergency department.
Thesurgical technologist functions under the direction of the Central SterileSupervisor and Central Sterile Manager. The surgical technologist possesses knowledge of aseptic technique,human anatomy, surgical procedures, surgical instrumentation and currenttechnology used to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeuticand diagnostic procedures. Direct andindirect patient care activities include the following type of functions:clinical, clerical, materials management, decontamination and prep pack ofsurgical instruments, and housekeeping. The surgical technologist trains andprecepts less experienced surgical tech staff in the preparation of the morecomplex and difficult cases. They serve as a preceptor for surgical technologystudents, Central Sterile Staff and RN interns in multiples specialties and asa resource person for all specialties. The surgical technologist teaches anddirects less experienced surgical staff in room preparation and turnover. Thetechnologist participates in unit activities.
Decontaminatespatient care equipment
- Retrievesequipment from operating rooms and utilization area at designated times and as theneed necessitates.
- Performsdecontamination and performance testing in accordance with establishedprocedures.
- Utilizescleaning agents in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
- Notifythe appropriate Unit Supervisor and/or buyer of any malfunctioning equipment.
- Demonstratesworking knowledge of equipment used in area
- Receives, prepares, and sterilizes items with steamsterilization, ETO, or Sterrad in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assembles surgical trays in accordance with currentcomponent list.
- Prepares and files appropriate documentation for eachsterilizer load.
- Selects the appropriate method of sterilization for eachitem.
- Cleans and performs accepted maintenance on instruments andequipment.
- Properly loads, operates and cleans all sterilizers, and allequipment using biological and chemical control tests as required by policiesand procedures.
Assists in delivery of age appropriatepatient care in the operating room.
- Assemblesand prepares sterile setup of supplies and instruments used for surgicalprocedures
- Anticipatessurgeon's needs during surgery based on knowledge of surgical procedures.
- Passesinstruments and supplies to the surgeon and surgical assistant.
- Abilityto perform scrub role in two or more OR specialty/service as assigned by theNurse Manager.
- Assistswith room turnover to insure timely, efficient use of OR time.
- AssistsOR Clinical Supervisors and Case Cart Coordinator to prepare for surgicalcases.
- Responsiblefor restocking unused sterile supplies and equipment, recognizing appropriateintegrity of sterile packaging and handling.
- Actsas resource for surgeons, anesthesia technicians, PCT's, attendants and otherdepartments.
Assists in maintaining a clean, orderlyand safe environment.
- Handles spongesand sharps appropriately to protect the patient and entire surgical team.
- Responsible formaintenance of surgical sterile field.
- Participatesin budget and inventory control.
- Keepssupervisor and /or buyer informed of needed items.
- Participatesin staff and self-development.
- Takesappropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the area.
- Complieswith Universal Protocol and National Patient Safety Goals as applicable.
- Participatesin activities to keep the unit functioning smoothly.
- Participatesin performance/process improvement.
- Assistswith orientation of new employees.
- Completesannual department competencies.
- Attends80% of staff meetings.
- Completesall mandatory education.
Required:A minimum of three (3) years recent experience as a Surgical Technologist withdemonstrated competency in multiple inpatient surgical specialties.
Preferred:Expertise in General, GYN, Orthopedic, Neuro and CV
Required:High school graduate or equivalent. Graduate of an accredited SurgicalTechnologist School OR hospital conducted on the job training with proof ofprogram content and completion.
Required:Current certification as a Surgical Technologist (if work experience assurgical tech is prior to 9/1/09, employee need not have national surg techcertification (grandfathered); if hired after September 1, 2009 per TexasBoard; must have certification within 180 days of graduation); minimum of 3years recent experience waived if certified. Current BLS for HealthcareProviders with American Heart Association required upon hire.