HCA Physician Services Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Social Worker - PRN (Weekdays)
at HCA Physician Services Group
St. David's Surgical Hospital, a campus of St. David's North Austin Medical Center, is a destination surgical hospital specializing in orthopedic, neurological, bariatric, gynecological and urological surgery, among others. Located in North Austin, the facility includes a 146,381-square-foot hospital with 40 inpatient rooms, 10 operating room suites, 11 pre-op bays, 19 post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) bays, a six-bed intensive care unit (ICU), imaging, pharmacy and lab services.
Under general direction, provide Medical Social Work services to patients and families. The Social Worker assists the patient/family to achieve an effective transition from hospital to post-hospital care through psychosocial evaluation, counseling, information and referral, patient education, and assistance with discharge planning.
The Social Worker is also responsible for assisting with policies and procedures, record keeping and reporting, performance improvement, and interfacing with other hospital units, community service agencies, chemical dependency and psychiatric treatment facilities. Assists patients and families in understanding normal responses to illness and resulting lifestyle changes.
- Provides complex discharge planning assessments as referred by physicians, and other interdisciplinary team members, patients or family members.
- Implements complex discharge plans which involve extensive community resource referrals and patient/family counseling, Hospice services or SNF placement
- Performs assessments for psychiatric and chemical dependency issues and assists the physician in developing the appropriate discharge plan.
- Completes Orders of Protective Custody (OPC) during office hours and works with the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) for Peace Officer Emergency Commitment (POEC) outside regular business hours and at weekends.
- Attends grand rounds for designated units.
- Social Worker (or PRN Social Worker) responds to all referrals within 24 hours
- Completes assessment of counseling and psychosocial needs referrals.
- Provides appropriate counseling to hospitalized patients/families.
- Refers appropriately to outpatient services for longer term needs.
- Documents counseling services in the medical record upon completion of the intervention.
- Ensures timely communication of relevant psychosocial information to physician and other identified significant care providers in order to facilitate appropriate patient care in the hospital and anticipated needs at discharge.
- Assists in reviewing and revising social work policies and procedures in accordance with hospital and regulatory standards at least triennially.
- Working knowledge of JCAHO standards, UR/QA and other regulatory agency standards related to social services and discharge planning
- Assists in monitoring and coordinating the CQI/QA reporting to the director.
- Requires effective interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, and the discretion to manage confidential patient information from medical records and other internal and external sources.