Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Bus Monitor (2019-20)
at Hays CISD
Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: AU03 (180 days; 5 hrs)
Monitor passengers on school bus over specified routes for a safe trip.
High school diploma or equivalent
Valid Texas Driver’s License
Must be able to read, write, and speak English
Verbal communication skills on two way radio
Effectively communicate verbally and in writing
Problem solving abilities
Knowledge of the road, subdivisions, campuses, and individual school
Knowledge of student discipline procedures
Must have interest in and empathy for children
Must have the ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions
Must have and maintain a satisfactory criminal background that reflects a professional and which meets all company,local school district, state, and federal requirements
Must be able to read and interpret schedules and forms as well as read and use a map
Must be physically able to climb in and out of the school bus emergency doors to evacuate the bus in an emergency
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist in maintaining, reading, and understanding route sheets including time changes.
- To meet the demands of the professional, it is important that personnel responsible for the transportation of children have a healthy self-image and successful relationship with other school personnel, pupils, parents, and the community.
- Exercise student management through correct use of communication, and discipline and report discipline.
- The school bus monitor is responsible for the safety and well being of passengers.
- Knowledge of proper emergency procedures and accident scene procedures is a must. These areas of responsibility deal directly with the safety and care of passengers in the event of an accident, as well as other emergency situations that may arise.
- Know and understand the principles of first aid. First aid is the immediate and temporary care given to the victim at an accident or sudden illness until the service of a health professional can be obtained. Common sense and a few simple rules are the key to effective first aid.
- The loading and unloading of students presents the monitor with tremendous responsibilities and requires the use of sound judgment. The monitor must execute the proper procedures for interacting with other vehicular traffic, in directing or assisting students in crossing the roadway, and in managing students as they enter or depart the bus.
- Special education programs generally provide transportation for pupils receiving special education services. The school bus monitor must have additional knowledge of responsibilities and techniques when serving the needs of the students.
- Pre and Post trip bus inspection form filled out completely and the bus clean inside.
- Documentation of student behavior on required forms to be turned into supervisor.
- Participate in emergency evacuation training as directed.
- Physical fitness is a key to safe handling of students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Designated features of school bus and related equipment, telephone and two-way radio
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Paperwork processing, bending, stooping, stretching, twisting, turning, reaching, lifting (50 lbs. for 5 feet), carrying, pulling (20 lbs.), pushing, climbing, and extensive sitting, possibility of extended hours, outside, excessive heat, excessive cold, excessive humidity, excessive dampness or chilling, intermittent noise, fumes, wind, dust, walking, repetitive motions, seeing day and night vision, riding on rough road, bouncing, bus vibrations. Emotionally well balanced to be able to deal with any emergency situation that could arise. Ability to make critical decisions in pressure situation, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Hays Consolidated I.S.D. will not discriminate against any person in employment or exclude any person from participating in or receiving benefits of any of its activities or programs on any basis prohibited on the bases of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or any other non-merit based factor. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, and training and career development programs.
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required. Positions are extended annually based upon availability of funding.
Job Contact Information
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)