Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Experienced Ecologist / Wetlands Scientist
at Geosyntec Consultants
Looking for a place to grow your career? A place where you can work with industry recognized professionals who are solving tough environmental problems? Geosyntec is the place for you! As an Experienced Ecologist / Wetlands Scientist in our Austin or Houston, Texas office, you will apply your academic knowledge and practical experience to real-world situations in support of natural resource permitting and compliance projects for new developments, expansions, and operation and maintenance activities for the oil and natural gas industry. Candidates demonstrating experience conducting wetland delineations for linear corridor projects are preferred.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the Experienced Ecologist / Wetlands Scientist position may include:
- Conducting biological and ecological resource studies including wildlife habitat assessments, listed threatened and endangered species assessments, native and invasive plant vegetation surveys, and wetland mitigation monitoring;
- Identifying jurisdictional wetlands, classification and delineation of wetlands and streams, and determining mitigation requirements to support the environmental permitting of infrastructure projects;
- Preparing Clean Water Act Sections 10, 404, and 401 permit applications, as well as Section 408 from the US Army Corps of Engineers and Coastal Use Permits from state regulatory agencies;
- Preparing environmental plans, including Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), and securing National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit coverage;
- Preparing environmental documents for compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) including, environmental resource reports, Environmental Assessments (EA), and Environmental Impact Statements (EIS);
- Conducting environmental inspections for compliance with permit conditions including NPDES stormwater compliance, wetlands permits, navigable waters permits, and other state and federal environmental regulations including Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) environmental regulations;
- Coordinating with state and federal resource agencies related to historic and natural resources;
- Data management and figure creation using Arc GIS® and similar software;
- Conducting permit-related site inspections and collecting environmental samples from a variety of media; and
- Preparing a variety of technical documents and environmental permit applications.
You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture as you expand your career. Here are some other things you should know about a typical Experienced Ecologist / Wetlands Scientist position with Geosyntec:
- Training: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities, including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants
- Fieldwork: Up to 50%
- Overnight travel: Up to 40%
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
- BS degree in environmental sciences, natural resources (e.g., fisheries, biology, ecology etc.), environmental engineering, or environmental management disciplines. (required)
- Advanced degree in the above. (preferred)
- At least 5 years of experience in environmental permitting and planning, or the natural resources consulting field. (required)
- Certifications or additional training or experience in wetland delineations. (preferred)
- A strong knowledge of native flora and fauna of the southern U.S. (preferred)
- Understanding of, and experience with, environmental compliance for development of linear projects—specifically natural gas projects—under the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) certification process, Department of Transportation (DOT), NEPA, and state-specific local permitting requirements in the Gulf Coast. (preferred)
- Experience with Federal permitting programs such as the Clean Water Act, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) 404 wetland permitting process. (preferred)
- Valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record. (required)
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing firm.
WHY CHOOSE GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/.
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits.
REQ NO: EXPER02034