GateHouse Media, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Deputy Design Editor
at GateHouse Media, Inc.
|Title:||Deputy Design Editor|
|Location:||TX - Austin|
|Job Category:||News Room / Editorial|
|Division:||Center for News & Design|
GHM Center for News & Design- Deputy Design Editor
Wish you were here (or there*)!
At GateHouse Media’s Center for News & Design in Austin, Texas, our talented team works with newsrooms across the U.S. to produce more than 200 daily and weekly publications, plus hundreds of magazines and special sections each year.
GateHouse Media’s Center for News & Design in the growing and vibrant community of Austin, Texas, is seeking to add to our core of front-line, hands-on design leaders to help elevate our publications’ visual presentation designing pages for daily and weekly publications throughout the country. Our teams come from all over the country — and more than half of them live there, too. (*Remote work is possible in 39 states. We have a huge remote design team).
The deputy design editor’s duties include:
- Planning and producing dynamic and engaging daily and long-term visual journalism, including high-visibility front pages, section fronts and special projects
- Offering and executing creative solutions to content presentation
- Collaborating and facilitating effective and constructive communication with local editors across the country and CND colleagues to continually improve our publications’ content-driven visual presentation
- Working daily shifts laying out daily pages from beginning to end
- Assist in designing special sections
The deputy design editor must:
- Have a keen understanding of visual journalism and have a solid foundation of page design, typography and content-driven layering of information
- Have excellent news judgment
- Be a true multi-tasker, able to handle curveballs on hard deadlines
- Be able to generate and implement creative ideas swiftly
- Have experience with layout software, preferably Adobe InDesign, Photoshop
Are you ready to join one of the largest publishers of locally based media in the country?
Full-time and part-time position are available. Hours of operations are between 6 a.m. and 3 a.m. (unless there is breaking news) including weekends and holidays. With two consecutive days off.
To apply for a part-time or full-time opportunity, visit our career page at gatehousemedia.com/careers or inquire at 512.614.1500. Don’t forget to include samples of your work.