Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Special Education Aide
at Elgin ISD
Job Reference #: 1209
Openings as of 8/21/2019
- Special Education Aide JobID: 1209
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Elgin High School
- Help teacher prepare instructional materials and classroom displays.
- Help maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Help with inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment.
- Help teacher keep administrative records and prepare required reports.
- Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
- Assist students with physical disabilities according to their needs including transferring to and from wheelchairs; lifting; positioning; or assisting students with personal care such as feeding, bathroom needs, and personal hygiene.
- Help manage behavior of students. This includes intervening in crisis situations and restraining disruptive or dangerous students as needed.
- Recognize differences in each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs and adapt methods and interaction accordingly.
- Work with individual students or small groups to develop motor skills and conduct instructional exercises assigned by teacher.
- Help supervise students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This includes lunchroom, bus, and playground duty.
- Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of individual students.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Description:Job Title: Special Education Aide-Self Contained Exemption Status/Test: Nonexempt
Reports to: Principal and Teacher(s) Assigned Pay Grade: CP1
Dept./School: Assigned Campus Date Revised: 10/26/2016
Help meet physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in a self-contained classroom. Assist in implementation of classroom programs, including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher.
Associate’s degree, two years of study at an institution of higher learning, or have met formal academic assessment as required by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
Valid Texas educational aide certificate
Ability to work with children with disabilities
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Knowledge of general office equipment
Some experience working with children
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment; other specialized and adaptive equipment used by students
Posture: Frequent standing; kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking and reaching
Lifting: Frequent light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); Occasional heavy lifting (45 pounds or over) and positioning or students with physical disabilities, controlling behavior through physical restraint, assisting nonambulatory students, and lifting and moving adaptive and other classroom equipment
Environment: Work inside and outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather); exposure to noise; exposure to biological hazards (bacteria, communicable diseases)
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.