Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lead Bus Driver
at Elgin ISD
Openings as of 7/11/2020
- Lead Bus Driver JobID: 1671
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Elgin ISD Transportation
- Supervise bus departures and loading areas at assigned school.
- Train new bus drivers prior to receiving their safety certification.
- Provide input to transportation director or route planner to facilitate planning and maintenance of bus routes.
- Monitor performance of assigned bus drivers to ensure routes, schedules, and safety procedures are consistently followed, and records are maintained. Monitor the completion and delivery of paperwork for assigned bus routes to ensure reports are turned in on time. Assist bus drivers to resolve issues that arise.
- Drive bus daily following assigned route and adhere to established schedules.
- Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities.
- Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustment to ensure student safety and reduce delays.
- Perform pre- and post-trip inspections according to specifications to ensure bus can be operated safely and notify supervisor of needed repairs. Keep assigned bus clean and maintain appropriate fuel levels.
- Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical problems and complete corresponding reports.
- Instruct students on safe entering, exiting, and passenger rules and regulations. Supervise students while they board and leave bus and cross the street.
- Maintain discipline and use effective behavior management control over groups of students. Report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator. Communicate with teachers and parents regarding student’s behavior when warranted.
- Perform emergency evacuation of students on bus when situation warrants.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflectors.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor. Report any hazardous conditions along scheduled route.
- Install snow chains during inclement weather.
- Maintain safety certification.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Operate and monitor two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office and other drivers.
- Complete and maintain accurate, up-to-date, and timely records and reports including but not limited to those related to bus mileage, gas and oil consumption, and the number of passengers transported.
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Must be 18 years of age
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to use maps and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to follow routes and locate addresses
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to communicate effectively with others
3 years bus driving experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Supervisory Responsibilities:Monitor the work of assigned bus drivers.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:Tools/Equipment Used: Operate school bus; two-way radio; global positioning equipment (GPS); safety equipment including but not limited to flares, reflective signs, and fire extinguisher
Posture: Prolonged sitting; frequent standing and twisting; occasional kneeling/squatting, bending, stooping, and pushing/pulling
Motion: Prolonged driving; moderate walking; frequent climbing stairs, grasping/squeezing, wrist and shoulder flexion/extension, and reaching
Lifting: Limited light lifting and carrying (under 15 pounds) on a daily basis
Environment: Frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, noise, and vehicle fumes; regularly work irregular hours, and occasionally work prolonged hours
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress