City of San Marcos
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of San Marcos
- JOB SUMMARY
Installs, repairs, and maintains line equipment on behalf of the San Marcos Electric Utility Department; connects commercial and residential electrical services; maintains and/or installs electric meters and street lights; performs tree trimming; repairs and maintains rights-of-way; responds to power outages and/or other emergencies; operates and maintains various types of work equipment and tools; and performs other related duties.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING
- Installs, removes, inspects, repairs, and maintains overhead/underground electrical lines and related equipment; locates and marks underground lines; performs switching of primary feeders; identifies and troubleshoots line issues; changes out faulty transformers; connects residential and commercial electrical services.
- Performs a variety of duties associated with the restoration of electric services:
- Troubleshoots and assists in resolving unplanned power outages.
- Participates in restoring power services in a safe and timely manner.
- Communicates with utility customers regarding electrical complaints, planned outages, and potential electric hazards.
- Installs, removes, inspects, and seals electric meters.
- Repairs, maintains, and installs street and/or customer lights; strings conductors; replaces old lighting with energy efficient lighting as required.
- Performs tree trimming; removes trees, brush, rocks, and boulders; repairs, clears, and repairs rights-of-way; hauls materials to dump for disposal as assigned.
- Installs substation breakers and connections; assists with remote terminal unit connections and programming.
- Operates various types of equipment including line trucks, aerial lift trucks, chipper trucks, digger trucks, and pulling equipment; cleans and maintains assigned vehicles; performs minor repairs and vehicle servicing.
- Prepares, updates, tracks, and maintains computerized work orders.
- Completes time tickets and job related reports.
- Provides training to apprentices and/or helpers as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- This position works under general supervision.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications)
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Two (2) years experience working as a lineman 2 (apprentice) is required.
- Lineman Certification required or proven job skill set maybe accepted.
- Must possess a valid Texas Class (A) Commercial Driver's License or obtain one within 90 days.
- Must possess a valid Class (A) Commercial Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to respond to night and weekend on-call duty; with response time of 60 minutes to city limits.
- Basic computer skills to check emails and enter time worked are required.
- Subject to on-call duty after hours.
- Must be able to respond within 1 hour for emergency calls.
- Regular attendance is required to perform the essential functions of the job.
- CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to read/comprehend electrical drawings, blueprints, specifications, maps and job order documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, electrical contractors, utility customers, and the general public.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Physical requirements include lifting up to 100 pounds occasionally. Subject to standing, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, climbing, balancing, vision and hearing frequently; sitting, fine dexterity, bending, twisting, talking and foot controls occasionally.
Working conditions involves exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, heavy equipment and high voltage electrical currents, working at heights, hazardous chemicals materials, infectious diseases, wild life, and stray/vicious animals.
Safety Sensitive Position.