City of San Marcos
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lifeguard Activity Center (less than 20 hours)
at City of San Marcos
- JOB SUMMARY
Performs lifeguard duties at the City's Activity Center Natatorium; provides customer service and assistance to patrons; participates in maintaining pool facilities; prepares departmental records and logs; and performs other related duties.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING
- Serves as lifeguard and monitors the safety of aquatic facility patrons (occasional required to work the outdoor pool):
- Participates in enforcing safety policies and procedures.
- Observes for signs of distressed swimmers, unsafe pool/deck conditions, and/or inclement weather.
- Initiates rescues; administers First Aid, CPR, AED, and/or other care to distressed swimmers.
- Performs safety checks before, during, and after assigned shifts.
- Accommodates swimmers and pool activities:
- Arranges open swim lanes; removes lane ropes.
- Provides swimming equipment; operates chair lift.
- Participates in maintaining aquatic facilities:
- Cleans pool and deck area; checks cleanliness of rest rooms.
- Vacuums, sweeps, removes trash, and performs other janitorial duties
- Tests, monitors, and documents water temperature, water quality, and chemical levels; adds/changes chemicals as appropriate.
- Backwashes pool system.
- Documents daily pool activities and number of customers per hour.
- Assists with swimming lessons as required.
- Maintains required certifications through policy updates and in-service training.
- This position works under general supervision.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications)
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Previous lifeguard experience is desirable.
- Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications are required.
- CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to read and comprehend regulations, municipal codes, handbooks, and manuals; must be able to review/prepare facility records, logs, and documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, patrons, and the general public.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 150 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision and hearing constantly; standing, sitting, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, climbing, balancing and talking occasionally; fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending and twisting rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, wet surfaces, water, pool maintenance equipment, hazardous chemicals, infectious diseases, and blood borne pathogens.
Safety Sensitive Position.