City of San Marcos
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
*Information Technology Systems Administrator
at City of San Marcos
- JOB SUMMARY
Provide Tier 2/3 Support for the Information Technology Department; thorough working knowledge of infrastructure operations and maintenance in a Windows and Linux environment; assist project teams in the Planning, design and implementation of the various phases of projects; responsible for effective installation/configurations, operation, and maintenance of systems and vendor software; assists in a variety of technical work relative to area of assignment; participates in maintaining the City's computer network, systems, storage, and related equipment; provide innovative technical ideas and solutions to the Information Technology Department.
First review of applications on October 1, 2019. Open until filled.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING
- Installs, configures, maintains, and advances analysis of various types of computer hardware and software.
- Generates and installs vendor system software products and components in order to IT requirements.
- Ensures the effective operation of all Systems.
- Maintains and updates major applications in order to ensure interface of operational functions and to identify and correct software problems.
- Isolates, performs quality assurance testing on, and corrects system software problems in order to recover full production status and prevent future failures and malfunctions.
- Communicates with internal technical personnel in order to provide technical advice and accomplish assigned work.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches to system administration tasks.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, system and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Apply upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, and resource optimization as required.
- Assist in maintaining data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Responds to and resolves technical requests/problems submitted by City departments and personnel:
- Contacts and coordinates with vendors regarding the repair of systems under warranty.
- Provide Tier 3/other support services
- Participate in the creation, implementation and maintenance of a Knowledge Base, Change Management tool and Configuration Manager System.
- Escorts vendors and repair contractors.
- Provide excellent customer service skills both internally and our user community.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Conducts research regarding computer hardware, software, and/or other related equipment, provides related recommendations, and obtains vendor information.
- Plans, coordinates, implements, and/or oversees assigned technology projects.
- Optimize client and internal satisfaction through teamwork and a strong commitment to customer service
- Other duties as assigned
- Maybe subject to on-call duties and called out during emergencies
- Must be able to analyze situations and determine the solution to technical issues with minimal supervision.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications)
- Bachelor degree, or equivalent in experience to include 4 years of progressive advancement in technology services.
- Knowledge of multiple software applications and operating systems, including, but not limited to: Microsoft Operating Systems, Unix based OS, Networking protocols, Microsoft SQL, Oracle Database, MySQL, virtualization, and VoIP system.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to pass FBI criminal background fingerprint check, and have the ability to comply with state and federal requirements for criminal justice information security standards.
- Must obtain ITIL Foundation certification within 1 year.
- Technology related certifications preferred.
- CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to read and comprehend departmental policies, technical/repair manuals, and user guides.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, and vendors.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Work generally performed in a climate controlled building with minimal exposure to outdoor weather conditions. The physical requirements of the job include the ability to sit, talk, kneel, bend at both the waist and knee, reach with the arms over the head, and hear, both on the telephone and in person, using regular conversational tones; vision requires the ability to focus and read printouts, computer, screens, and the written material. Duties may require lifting up to 50 pounds and have the use of hands and fingers to perform essential functions of the job, i.e., typing, data entry, using the calculator, and operating other office equipment.
Working conditions involve occasional exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, diesel generators and/or other machinery with moving parts, working in confined spaces, and hazards associated with moving/lifting equipment and furniture is involved. Computer room is kept at 70 degrees and may be drafty. Noisy work environment, i.e. generators, alarms, and staff talking on phones (noises are intermittent and constant).
Safety Sensitive Position.
8 a.m. – 5 p.m., M-F