Cirrus Logic, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Teardown Research Engineer SD-4493
at Cirrus Logic, inc.
This position is responsible for performing product teardowns and competitive analysis. Reverse engineer the latest electronic gadgets to determine sub-system and IC functions and collect measurement data to determine key behavior and characteristics. Provide a complete analysis of the overall system, subsystems, and specific IC’s, for electronic devices in categories such as smartphones, tablets, hearable, wearables, smart home, and automotive infotainment.
- Reverse engineer detailed product information by identifying areas of interest, selecting appropriate analytical techniques and evaluating results
- Compose and perform innovative test experiments to determine system and IC performance
- Work closely with subject matter experts in Systems, Design, and Marketing teams to analyze results to determine relevance to internal developments
- Deliver comprehensive assessments of electronic, electro-mechanical, and mechanical sub-systems and components in a product, including diagrams for system connectivity and circuit schematics where possible
- Assess product architectures and provide reasoning for design choices
- Provide material lists, including estimated passive component and IC costs/pricing
- Assess competitive IC’s capabilities and physical analysis for analog/digital/memory structures
- Provide HW/FW/SW interaction analysis, algorithm functional analysis, and protocol analysis
- Develop equipment and techniques for the analysis of new devices and technologies; perform experimental research to find and define solutions
- Engage external data sources/services/contractors or outsource functions as required
- Produce reports and build competitive database
- Keep up with news about competitors and new electronics products/technology
- Communicate ideas and specifications to technical audiences
- Autonomously manage task list and competing priorities
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- BS in Electrical Engineering with 3+ years of experience reverse engineering devices and circuits with lab experience in system and device-level functional testing
- Experience with multiple applications/technology used in electronic products such as audio, autofocus and optical image stabilization, voice coil or other motor drive/control, MEMS, inertial/light/pressure/magnetic/touch/force/temperature sensors, haptics, wireless radios/protocols, USB or other complex serial bus protocols, etc.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills and optimistic attitude to addressing challenges
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills, with the ability to succinctly compile and compose written reports
- Task and detailed oriented, very organized
- Dynamic and able to learn quickly, self-starter, and unafraid to ask questions
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of semiconductor device physics
- Knowledge of closed loop control and adaptive algorithms
- Understanding of kernel level coding and debugging and device drivers
- Programming or macro/script development experience
- Macro photography and photo editing/annotating experience
This position is located in Austin, TX
Cirrus Logic is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive to select the best qualified applicant for any opening and to reward employees based on their skills, experience and performance. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, pregnancy status, marital status, gender, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.