Catholic Charities of Central Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Catholic Charities of Central Texas
- 19-Aug-2019 to 30-Nov-2019 (CST)
- Immigration Legal Services
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
Position will remain open until filled or canceled
Catholic Charities is a religious organization founded by the Catholic Diocese of Austin to provide direct social services to those in need. It is related to but separate from the diocese. Catholic Charities helps the Bishop of Austin fulfill Christ's mission in Central Texas. Some positions employed in Catholic Charities of Central Texas help to extend the ministry of the Catholic Church in particular ways as outlined in the job description. Therefore, the Catholic Charities of Central Texas employee in this position is related to and assists the Catholic Church in the performance of its ministry and thereby engages in ministry for the church.
The Legal Assistant is responsible for providing general support to case managers with legal case management and client services in the Immigration Legal Services Program.
- Complete immigration forms and prepare well written clients declarations, statements and correspondence.
- Conduct legal research and provide oral and written legal research findings.
- Maintain communication with clients and follow-up as necessary.
- Convert cases electronically, maintain high quality data entry and perform case management in the LawLogix system and Fast Visa Systems.
- Screen callers for eligibility for legal services.
- Translate documents.
- Participate as an attendee and/or presenter on workshops on immigration matters.
- Provide backup to front desk and take mail to the Post Office (as needed).
- Participate as an active team member of Catholic Charities.
- Maintain a work schedule that maximizes availability to staff and customers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Ability to proficiently communicate in English and Spanish (conversing, reading and writing).
- Ability to work independently, with a minimum of supervision, and to understand office operations.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing, clearly, accurately in a proficient, professional, pleasant and effective manner.
- Ability to be creative, accurate and have attention to detail.
- Ability to process changes with short notice.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations, including low-income persons and other disadvantaged persons.
- Ability to conformably work in a faith-based environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to operate various word processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs such as: Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Acrobat Adobe Pro.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and utilize effective time management techniques to meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
- Ability to create and foster an environment consistent with agency culture, mission, vision, and values.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with all segments of the community (parishes, priests, religious, laity, Catholic ministries, civic leaders and community agencies).
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers and work effectively with others.
- Ability to travel throughout a 25 county service region as necessary.
Education and Trainings:
- High School Diploma or GED acceptable to Texas Education Agency.
- One (1) year of full-time wage earning experience in clerical or administrative assistant role.
- Bilingual English-Spanish (proficient in conversing, reading, and writing).
- Valid Texas driver's license.
- Must maintain compliance with the Diocese of Austin Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM) policies throughout the employment period.