Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Austin Independent School District
Openings as of 4/23/2019
06 - Technical/Labor/Trade
- Urban Forester JobID: 28494
- Position Type:
06 - Technical/Labor/Trade
- Date Posted:
Service Center - Building & Grounds For Fiscal Year:
- Tree Appraisal training through ISA
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualified through ISA
- Experience using ArborPro or similar tree inventory software
- Identify needs and opportunities in managing the AISD urban forest, including hazard tree mitigation, tree maintenance, planting, tree inventories and strategic planning.
- Provide and/or coordinate training of best management practices for tree care and worker safety for maintenance staff, construction management staff, school staff and other relevant AISD stakeholders.
- Update and maintain the tree database using ArborPro software.
- Provide guidance for development, implementation and future updates to the AISD Standard Operating Procedures for Tree Care. Adhere to protocols outlined in SOP for Tree Care.
- Assist in preparing specifications for tree care service contracts.
- Coordinate the day-to-day activities of the tree care services contractor to ensure long-term health of trees while prioritizing hazard mitigation. Determine and review job scope of work, site coordination with the school administration and expense tracking as well as ensure quality work is completed by the contractor.
- Coordinate and document the removal of hazardous trees and branches.
- Assist campuses with coordination of tree planting and landscape planning to ensure activities do not conflict with planned construction, utility lines, etc. and to ensure species selection is appropriate for the region and proposed location at the school.
- Assist with AISD construction projects to ensure compliance with the City of Austin Tree Ordinance and to facilitate tree permitting for removals, if needed. Includes on-site tree health assessments, design review, and as-needed guidance on construction projects.
- Coordinate the day-to-day activities of part time, grant-funded personnel and/or interns.
- Represent the district at tree-related community events.
- Identify funding opportunities and assist in the preparation of grant proposals.
- Conduct occasional tree appraisals to assess monetary value for district.
- Attend relevant trainings and conferences.
- Maintain positive and collaborative relationships and foster strategic partnerships with AISD departments, local organizations, community groups, City of Austin departments, etc.
This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Natural Resources, Environmental Science, Ecology, Biology, Forestry, Urban Forestry, Arboriculture or related field with two (2) years or more of experience developing or coordinating urban forestry programs. One year of related experience may be substituted for each year of required college credit. Incumbent must have a valid Texas Class “C” Driver’s License and must be an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist.
Preferred training, certifications, experience:
This position requires incumbent to have thorough knowledge of forested lands for economic, recreational and conservation purposes. Incumbent must have the ability to perform multiple projects and maintain accurate records. The position requires the ability to operate a computer.
The incumbent must demonstrate excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications as well as analytical, problem-solving and project management skills. The incumbent must demonstrate the ability to work in a friendly and effective manner with diverse stakeholder groups including professional and nonprofessional staff, students and community members. The position requires the ability to work independently/as a team, a strong work ethic and a commitment to work safety.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The AISD Urban Forester ensures that AISD trees stay healthy and safe, and that they are able to grow and thrive as valuable assets to our schools and community. The Urban Forester shall develop, monitor and/or perform activities related to the management of trees and tree related activities on all Austin ISD campuses under minimal supervisory direction. With thousands of acres of land, AISD has a rich and varied tree canopy that includes some of Austin’s most notable Heritage Trees.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made if necessary. Work is performed both outdoors in a variety of weather conditions, and in an office setting. A reliable personal vehicle is required for travel to Austin ISD campuses. Position requires sitting, standing, lifting, travel to campuses, walking campus grounds. This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position is in the Facilities Maintenance department and works closely with the Supervisor of Building and Grounds and the Sustainability Manager. This position is responsible for providing communications to outside groups. Incumbent must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with on and off-campus stakeholders and must demonstrate professional behavior with coworkers and clients to represent Austin ISD organizational goals abiding by work rules described in the Austin ISD Employee Manual and the Austin ISD Handbook of Operating Procedures.
Duty Days: 260
Pay Grade: MP4
Starting Salary: $23.22/Hr
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer