Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Translator- Communication and Community Engagement
at Austin Independent School District
Openings as of 10/17/2019
03 - Professional: Central Office
- Translator- Communication and Community Engagement JobID: 31605
- Position Type:
03 - Professional: Central Office/Translator/Interpreter
- Date Posted:
Communication & Community Engagement
- Date Available:
10/07/2019 For Fiscal Year:
- Provide support to expand and implement an effective model for adequate translation and interpretation services at all schools and district-wide events.
- Implement professional skills of the art and science of simultaneous and/or consecutive interpretation services from English to Spanish/Spanish to English during meetings, public forums, special events, hearings, telephone communications and visitors' meetings, as needed. Interpretation services are provided at regularly scheduled meetings and public hearings of the Board of Trustees. Many of these events occur in the evening and on weekends. Therefore, incumbent must be available to work 2-3 evenings during the week and weekends, as needed.
- Provide translation of documents, publications and videos developed by school and central office administrators. Translate the major content of the District’s website into Spanish.
- Manage databases and presentation software, in order to perform responsible clerical duties including scheduling, reports, record keeping, maintaining databases and filing in an effective and timely manner. Proficiency in translation software is preferred.
This position requires a Bachelors’ degree, proficiency in Spanish and English and three (3) years of documented professional translation and interpretation experience. Recent experience working as a full-time translator for an agency, a company or as an independent contractor is required.
This position requires excellent command of both the Spanish and English languages with exceptional grammar skills. Incumbent must have experience interpreting simultaneously to large audiences using microphones and headsets and experience using CAT tools. The ability to manage several projects on tight deadlines with minimum supervision and to work independently, once given direction, proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools and learning new software is required.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
This position is responsible for translating a wide variety of district-wide written communications in English and Spanish. Incumbent will proofread, edit and perform other quality assurance checks to deliver accurate translations. Incumbent will provide English to Spanish/Spanish to English simultaneous and consecutive interpretation services, in person or over the phone. This position will facilitate communication between district staff and Spanish-speaking students, parents and community members. Incumbent will assist in scheduling, managing and distributing incoming requests, reports and databases to ensure timely delivery of assignments.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position involves working in a normal office setting with no unusual physical demands or exposure to hazardous situations. However, incumbent must be able to carry interpretation equipment cases to meetings. This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS
This position reports directly to the Language Support Coordinator in the Translation and Interpretation Office of the Department of Communications and Community Engagement.
Duty Days: 230
Pay Grade: P6
Starting Salary: $61,806
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer