Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Special Education Curriculum Specialist (ELA/Math/Science)
at Austin Independent School District
Openings as of 8/25/2019
03 - Professional: Central Office
- Special Education Curriculum Specialist (ELA/Math/Science) JobID: 30599
- Position Type:
03 - Professional: Central Office/Curriculum Specialist
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
07/22/2019 For Fiscal Year:
- Facilitate the vertical articulation of the PK-12 curriculum, focus on either English Language Arts, Math, or Science, depending upon assignment.
- Participate with curriculum development in selected content areas to assist in the development of curriculum materials aligned to meet the need of students with disabilities.
- Collaborate with key district stakeholders to develop an implementation plan for curriculum delivery.
- Plan, facilitate, present, and evaluate training that supports the aligned curriculum.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in the identification of appropriate instructional resources, modifications and accommodations for students with disabilities at the campus and district levels.
- Keep current with best practices for students with disabilities (review of professional resources, participation in professional development) in alignment with district goals.
- Serve on district committees as assigned.
- Collaborate with other district department specialists to assure alignment of efforts to achieve district goals.
- Support teachers and campuses implementing new and innovative programs for students with disabilities.
- Conduct demonstration lessons to support students with disabilities in the general classroom and specialized settings.
- Assist in the development and implementation of district-wide staff development programs focusing on integrating the needs of students with disabilities into the content training.
- Provide leadership in the coordination of special events and programs related to students with disabilities and curriculum.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and district policies, rules and regulations.
- Provide teachers, specialists, and administrators with staff development sessions in order to establish objectives and goals for students with disabilities.
- Provide training and monitoring to ensure IEP development is based on present levels of functional and academic performance, meeting the unique needs of students with disabilities, ensuring access and alignment to the TEKS.
- Identify needs using and analyzed date for each assigned campus and assist in the development of action plans to improve areas of need.
- Assist campuses in implementing progress monitoring tools for students with disabilities.
- Provide professional development and guidance to campuses and teachers on state assessment decisions for students with disabilities.
- Identify, communicate and provide professional development on the universal assessments used for IEP development.
- Communicate regularly with administrators to sustain timely response to emerging curriculum and instructional special education issues.
- Disseminate information on current trends and research on curriculum and instruction for special education and urban education.
- Assist in the textbook adoption process ensuring students with disabilities have access to materials and curriculum and correlate newly adopted materials to the district curriculum.
This is a grant funded position.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field; prefers a Master’s degree. A valid Texas Special Education teaching certificate, and five (5) years of successful classroom teaching experience in a special education classroom is also required.
This position requires incumbent to be knowledgeable in curriculum and instructional strategies to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Incumbent must have demonstrated success providing content area instruction (English Language Arts, Math or Science depending upon assignment) and delivering instruction to students with disabilities. This position requires experience in design and delivery of professional development and should have experience in urban schools with diverse student populations. Incumbent must have excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to guide and lead other educators, and work cooperatively with others. Strong communication and language skills required.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
As a member of the district’s Curriculum Department, the Special Education curriculum specialist contributes to the development and implementation of the district’s curriculum, designs and leads professional development activities and supports curriculum implementation for students with disabilities. Focus is on supporting the integration of accommodations and modifications for students with disabilities into content areas of the curriculum and curricular frameworks. Special Education Curriculum Specialists also provide curricular and instructional support to campuses and novice teachers serving students with disabilities. The specialist utilizes research and evidence based strategies as well as good judgment in developing curriculum and programmatic practices. Applicant is expected to work during the defined work day and beyond the work day and work week as needed.
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is usually performed in a normal office setting or classroom with no unusual physical demands or exposure to hazardous situations. This position may involve possible exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
In a joint appointment, this position will be assigned to work closely with the Supervisor for that content area within the Curriculum Department and will report to the Assistant Director for Special Education to support curriculum needs of students and teachers on the campus. Incumbent will have regular contact with campus administrators, teachers, students and parents.
Duty Days: 230
Pay Grade: P8
Starting Salary: $62,634
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer