Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Security Guard (2020-2021 SY)
at Austin Independent School District
Openings as of 7/5/2020
06 - Police/Security/Safety
- Security Guard (2020-2021 SY) JobID: 32012
- Position Type:
06 - Police/Security/Safety
- Date Posted:
Akins HS For Fiscal Year:
- Monitors student behavior in hallways, lavatories, and other assigned areas and enforces school safety rules.
- Checks hallways, lavatories, and grounds for unauthorized personnel or movement of students.
- Prevents vandalism, physical conflict, and theft of personal and school property whenever possible.
- Responds to and assists in resolving conflicts or confrontations between students.
- Assists in evacuating students from school buildings during emergencies (e.g., fire drills).
- Assists school officials in checking lockers for contraband.
- Disciplines students as necessary.
- Notifies police, fire and EMS in emergencies.
- Writes reports and documents/records activities and incidents.
- Makes decisions and problem solves independently of others within assigned authority.
- Applies appropriate physical restraint when necessary.
- Authorizes individuals entering or exiting facilities.
- Communicates details in a protective service setting.
- Enforces policies, procedures, and regulations for assigned area.
- Escorts individuals or suspects.
- Maintains work records.
- Monitors life/safety systems (e.g., fire alarm/suppression, CCTV).
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Some related experience is preferred.
This position requires the ability to interact and relate to students from a variety of ethnic and social backgrounds. Incumbent must possess a thorough understanding of school safety and disciplinary rules and regulations. Incumbent must have good listening and communication skills and be able to communicate effectively with others. Incumbent must have the ability to monitor actions of others. Position requires incumbent to analyze potential situations and apply rules and knowledge to specific problems to produce sensible results.
Employees in this position must be able to read, write, and speak/communicate in English in order to receive and to provide work-related information in a timely manner to other employees, supervisors, principals, school personnel, volunteers and where appropriate, visitors and students.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
This position assists school principals in maintaining order, resolving conflicts, and ensuring that safety rules are followed on school grounds. Incumbent must exercise good judgment in assessing student behavior and handling student disciplinary problems. Errors might include misjudging the seriousness in a given situation, resulting in an inappropriate response. All work must be done in accordance with Austin ISD policies and procedures (e.g., fire safety rules).
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Incumbent must be standing and patrolling school grounds at all times during the school day. Position may require physical activity sufficient to overcome physical resistance. Position may require running for short distances and overcoming obstacles when responding to specific situations. Position is subject to emergency call-back/deployment to areas other than normal assignment, at times not consistent with established schedules. OSHA category for blood borne pathogens for this position is Category II, which involves possible exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position reports directly to a school principal. General instructions are given for weekly work assignments, and the incumbent may meet with the supervisor several times during each school day. Incumbent should serve as a positive role model for students. The incumbent has nearly constant contact with students throughout the day while performing assigned duties. Incumbent interacts with principals and teachers on a daily basis. Incumbent may also have contact with visitors and other members of the public while they are on school property.
Duty Days: 209
Pay Grade: NIS 1
Starting Salary: $13.09/Hr
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer