Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Police Dispatcher (2020-2021 SY)
at Austin Independent School District
Job Reference #: 17800
Categories: Administrative/Clerical, Police/Fire/Emergency Personnel, Transportation/Supply Chain/Logistics
Openings as of 7/16/2020
06 - Police/Security/Safety
- Police Dispatcher (2020-2021 SY) JobID: 17800
- Position Type:
06 - Police/Security/Safety/Police Communication Specialist
- Date Posted:
Police Department For Fiscal Year:
- The Telecommunications Specialist may work any of a variety of shifts, to include weekends and or holidays within a 5 day work week.
- Strongly prefer 35 wpm on typing test.
- Screen and direct telephone calls (e.g., determine the nature of the call, dispatch personnel as required, direct call to the appropriate person or take and deliver messages as necessary.)
- Monitor school district alarm systems (e.g., dispatch patrol officers as necessary; update account information as users enter and leave; assist personnel with alarm panel problems; contact alarm technicians.)
- Monitor, record, and log all information transmitted across radios.
- Monitor other equipment (e.g., APD scanner, service center entry gate.)
- Enter and retrieve data on computer systems (e.g., data from complaint calls, FOC cards.)
- Perform miscellaneous clerical duties (e.g., type, file.)
This position requires a High School Diploma or G.E.D, a Telecommunicator License from Texas Commission on Law Enforcement and prefers for incumbent to have TCLOSE Police Communication Certification and TCIC/NCIC Operator Certification.
This position requires incumbent to be able to handle multiple duties simultaneously and respond to interruptions. Incumbent must be able to operate a wide variety of communications equipment, as well as standard office equipment such as computers, calculators/adding machines, and copiers. Strong interpersonal skills and knowledge of department policies and procedures are necessary.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Incumbent monitors phone and radio communication as well as alarm systems and dispatches Police Officers or maintenance workers as required. Incumbent relies on established procedures and may use department and equipment manuals as required. Errors could result in police not responding to a call or dispatching personnel unnecessarily or to the incorrect location.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in normal office working conditions, but involves long periods of sitting. This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Incumbent receives both detailed and general instructions from the Supervisor on a daily basis. Work may go either to a co-worker or the supervisor for review. Incumbent has frequent contact with co-workers and other personnel within the department as well as faculty and staff, students, parents, and the general public. This position involves extensive telephone work and response to numerous and varied inquiries and requests from contacts listed above.
Duty Days: 260
Pay Grade: PD1
Starting Salary: $21.12/Hr
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer