Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Physical Therapist (2020-2021 School Year)
at Austin Independent School District
Openings as of 7/11/2020
02 - Professional: Schools
- Physical Therapist (2020-2021 School Year) JobID: 32734
- Position Type:
02 - Professional: Schools
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
08/11/2020 For Fiscal Year:
- Knowledge of school based therapy theory, techniques, methodologies, and equipment used in physical therapy.
- Ability to have a dynamic practice by utilizing evidence based treatments and being aware of best practices in education.
- Ability to evaluate students with appropriate tests, skilled professional observation and supplementary information from outside agencies or records.
- Interpret assessment findings and appropriately convey information to parents and school teams.
- Ability to analyze environmental problems that may arise within the educational setting and provide creative alternatives for optimal function within these settings.
- Skill in selecting and providing a wide range of intervention strategies and monitoring their effectiveness.
- Knowledge of areas of practice specific to pediatrics, to include normal child development patterns and specific diagnosis.
- Knowledge in body mechanics and ability to train staff in use of equipment for prevention of injuries.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws and regulations affecting service delivery.
- Ability to read, write, and converse fluently in English in order to communicate effectively with a wide variety of personnel, Individualized Education Plan (IEP) team members, teachers, and families to help develop IEPs and Section 504 plans, as well as relay student progress within their IEP.
- Excellent organizational, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge in use of high and low tech assistive technology that may be utilized within the educational setting to promote student participation.
- Perform evaluations for students referred by the Section 504 and Special Education Admission Review Dismissal (ARD) committee and determine educational need for services.
- Plan and provide direct and/or indirect/consultative services consistent with physical therapy goals embedded in the students Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Evaluate student progress and determine readiness for continuation or termination of physical therapy services.
- Plan, coordinate, and provide training and continuing education both formally and informally to parents, school administration, and school support staff.
- Communicate with community personnel to include early childhood agencies, durable medical equipment agencies, and private therapists.
- Serve as a resource to parent, school team, staff and administration on disabling conditions and their effects on education.
- Participate in improving school accessibility and planning environmental modifications.
- Assist in the selection of materials, equipment and other adaptive material.
- Participate in evaluations and documentation for personal equipment needs (wheelchairs, etc.).
- Maintain student service records in accordance to the Physical Therapy Practice Act as well as Austin ISD, State, and Federal policies.
- Assist with department program planning and policy development.
- Comply with Federal IDEA, Texas Education Agency state law, and local Austin ISD procedures.
- Follow all Austin ISD rules, regulations, and policies and follow directives from supervisors.
- Master the Medicaid and special education online documentation systems, email and word processing.
- Seek continuing education in areas of assistive technology, best practices, and legal updates for ongoing collaboration with school administration.
This position requires a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate’s degree in Physical Therapy, a valid Texas license as a physical therapist granted by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners, and a valid Texas driver’s license. One year of experience as a physical therapist is preferred, especially in the area of pediatrics. Incumbents that are new graduates will need to be agreeable to intensive mentoring from an assigned senior therapist.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The purpose of this position is to support the education of students with a variety of different diagnosis and disabilities to include intellectual disabilities, orthopedic impairments, or other health impairments in their least restrictive environments. Incumbent will provide evaluation and educationally therapeutic intervention to enable students to access general education and benefit from special education instruction. Incumbent will also provide ongoing assessments of students, and training of staff to help with management of physical disabilities, prevent injury to student and/or staff and assist in providing with environmental modifications necessary to optimal function and participation within the educational setting.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Movement is generally necessary to facilitate therapy (e.g., standing, walking, stooping, bending, sitting, and/or kneeling). Occasional lifting up to approximately 50 lbs. will occur along with frequent time on the floor sitting, squatting, and/or kneeling. Incumbent must maintain emotional control under stress and be able to work with frequent interruptions and possess flexibility to adapt to schedule/work changes. Computer use is required, and prolonged use may result in repetitive hand motion. It is expected that frequent district wide traveling and prolonged and irregular hours will be required.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position requires therapist to be familiar with working with a population of students and parents, that are socially, economically, and culturally diverse. The ability to be sensitive to these needs is critical. This position requires working with a variety of personnel in administrative areas e.g. therapy supervisor, special education supervisor, principals while remaining ethical to the physical therapy code of conduct at all times.
Duty Days: 187
Pay Grade: P7A
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer