Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Emergency Management Specialist
at Austin Independent School District
Job Reference #: 26357
Categories: Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director)
Openings as of 3/23/2019
06 - Police/Security/Safety
- Emergency Management Specialist JobID: 26357
- Position Type:
06 - Police/Security/Safety/Emergency Management Specialist
- Date Posted:
Police Department For Fiscal Year:
- Assists in the development, review, and improvement of Austin ISD emergency plans based on applicable laws, disaster research, and industry best practices.
- Conducts site visits to perform campus safety and security audits at each campus.
- Assists in collecting, organizing, and analyzing safety and security audit data, including helping prepare the final report.
- Assists in developing and overseeing the Austin ISD’s drill and exercise programs.
- Helps develop and oversee safety and security training programs.
- Assists with coordinating the efforts of school safety and security committee.
- Helps seek, secure, and manage safety and security-related grants.
- Helps prepare and manage contracts with school districts, agencies, and vendors.
- Serves as district emergency management liaison to Austin/Travis County EOC alongside the Emergency Management Coordinator.
- May serve as district liaison to the Central Texas School Safety Consortium.
- Collects, organizes, and develops data for after-action analyses when disaster strikes.
- With assistance from Emergency Management Coordinator, coordinates emergency management internship program during summer months.
- Provides consultation and technical assistance to Austin ISD’s Board, partnering school districts, emergency managers, first responders, parents, volunteer agencies, and all others involved in community-wide emergency management efforts.
- Participates in other duties as assigned to include traffic flow studies, policy analyses, inventory, and website maintenance.
- Helps coordinate development of Austin ISD’s district-wide emergency operations plan with Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Helps coordinate development of train derailment (hazardous materials) procedures and plans for facilities within 1,000 yards of railways.
- Helps maintain Greater Austin Travis Regional System (GATRRS) emergency portable and mobile communications inventory for entire district.
- Coordinates development of Austin ISD’s local mitigation plan.
- Helps coordinate activities of District-Wide Safety and Security Committee.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, or a related field. This position also requires three (3) years of experience; education may substitute for required experience. Prefer experience in the areas of emergency management, fire safety, public safety, or emergency communications. Completion of incident command system training courses using National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) methods preferred.
This position requires the ability to comprehend and operate within complex systems and explain these systems to a wide variety of stakeholders, the ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing, and the ability to maintain composure and control under stress. The ability to communicate verbally and in writing in Spanish is preferred.
Employees in this position must be able to read, write, and speak/communicate in English in order to receive and to provide work-related information in a timely manner to other employees, supervisors, principals, school personnel, volunteers, external stakeholders, and where appropriate, visitors and students.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
This position is responsible for assisting the Emergency Management Coordinator secure a positive climate at all district facilities by maintaining acceptable levels of risks
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is generally performed in a normal office environment. This position requires sitting, lifting, and travel to different sites within the Austin ISD. This position also requires extended periods of walking (up to several miles in extreme weather conditions), climbing, and crawling. This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Incumbent reports directly to the Austin ISD Emergency Management Coordinator.
Duty Days: 260
Pay Grade: CT9
Starting Salary: $19.21/Hr
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer