Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Austin Independent School District
Job Reference #: 28154
Openings as of 8/16/2019
06 - Technical/Labor/Trade
- Custodian I JobID: 28154
- Position Type:
06 - Technical/Labor/Trade/Custodian
- Date Posted:
Service Center - Housekeeping For Fiscal Year:
- Be responsible for cleaning of assigned school space, which may include cafeteria, classrooms, athletic areas, etc. as scheduled by the supervisor. Keep restrooms clean and well supplied at all times.
- Provide floor care to include sweeping, mopping, spray buffing, scrubbing, applying floor finish, etc. Provide carpet care to include vacuuming, spot removal, bonnet cleaning and extraction. Wall-to-wall carpeting, rugs, entry door mats, etc. Should be vacuumed at least once daily or as scheduled by the supervisor.
- Keep housekeeping closets clean and supplied with the cleaning materials necessary to do the job. Keep closets locked when not in use.
- Know the opening and closing procedures of assigned campus to include operation of the alarm system.
- Replace light bulbs and tubes, ceiling tiles and other building supply items, which are provided for installation by the custodial staff.
- Participate in team time activities and special projects as scheduled by the supervisor or when help is needed due to absences, etc.
- Manual and physical dexterity (handling of scrubbing machines, burnishers, vacuum cleaners, carpet cleaning machines, cleaning equipment/materials, hand tools, etc.).
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. And receive assistance (seek help, or utilize a hand truck) for any items greater then 50 lbs. Ability to safely climb a 10-foot ladder.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time on hard surfaces (concrete or tile) for at least 80-100% of the scheduled workday, usually 8 hours.
- Ability to determine quality of restroom care, detect odors of burning materials, improper storage of cleaners and chemicals, etc. Must be able to use cleaning chemicals and cleaning agents necessary to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Bending, stooping - frequently (cleaning)
- Squatting - occasionally
- Reaching - frequently
- Pushing - frequently
- Pulling - frequently
- Walking - constantly
This position requires eight (8) to ten (10) years of school or equivalent.
Knowledge of how to safely operate all housekeeping equipment used in the building. Incumbent should be dependable and consistent in work habits. Be able to follow oral and written instructions, have knowledge of simple cleaning equipment, and knowledge of reading and writing and the use of simple arithmetic. Incumbent should be able to talk and interact with customers, fellow employees, management, school staff and administrators. This includes hearing, feeling and smelling. Incumbent should also have the ability to work well with people.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
This position is responsible for keeping the school campus to which assigned in a clean, sanitary and safe manner. This position will be responsible for insuring that all cleaning equipment and materials are maintained in a manner consistent with safe and efficient working practices.
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
This position will be an inside position, with approximately 90% of the time being spent in a school. The temperature inside will fluctuate depending on the season and cooling systems within each school. There will be a high level of noise, due to student interaction, equipment, and typical school activity. Approximately 10% of the time will be spent outdoors picking up trash and debris from the school grounds, and depositing trash in dumpsters. OSHA category for blood born pathogens for this position is Category II, which involves possible exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance for this position is required. Body Movements: (measured in terms of frequency)
Not at All Occasionally Frequently Constantly
0% 1 – 33% 34 – 66% 67 – 100%
This position reports to the campus housekeeping supervisor.
Duty Days: 260
Pay Grade: MT01
Starting Salary: $13.00/Hr
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer