Austin Independent School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Communications Specialist (Temporary Hourly Sub Assignment)
at Austin Independent School District
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 27478
Openings as of 3/19/2019
07 - Temporary/Hourly
- Communications Specialist (Temporary Hourly Sub Assignment) JobID: 27478
- Position Type:
07 - Temporary/Hourly
- Date Posted:
Communication & Community Engagement For Fiscal Year:
- Substitute assignment starts December 2018 through July 31,2019.
- Temporary hourly substitute assignment with no benefits.
- Two substitute positions available.
- Assists with the writing, planning, organizing and editing of communication materials for publication in a variety of forms, including electronic publication.
- Assists with the composition and graphic design of marketing materials. Examples of work include parent/guardian letters, news releases, key messages, FAQs, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, fliers and other collateral.
- Develops and updates district website.
- Assists in the planning and development of advertising/promotional campaigns/strategies.
- Provides event coordination services, i.e., arrange facilities, contact media, invite appropriate groups and individuals, etc.
- Designs, proofreads, writes and edits communication collateral for internal or external use.
- Assists with photography, producing videos and public service announcements for promotional and social media use.
- Designs and maintains databases, i.e., mailing lists, association and organization lists, etc.
- Populates the district’s social media platforms and takes the lead on social media responses.
- Assists with ensuring that employees are well-informed, in a timely manner, regarding district objectives, events and decisions around matters affecting their working conditions.
- Generates accurate, timely and consistent information about school policies, programs, achievements, decisions and critical issues to public and key stakeholders, especially families.
- Provides regular media information updates to senior management.
- When necessary, assists with the implementation of a crisis communication plan for the public, stakeholders and media.
- Assists campus level leadership with appropriate media response as necessary.
- Assists, composes and edits daily media update for leadership.
- May perform media relations duties to include: news releases, fielding questions from media and media buying.
- Receives, investigates and answers questions from external media and public social media.Serves as liaison for media and general public.
- Establishes and maintains close working relations with staff, stakeholders and reporters.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or related field; A minimum of three (3) years of related experience in journalism, external/internal communications, executive communications or public relations is required. Prefer fluency in dual language, preferably English and Spanish. Incumbent must have a valid Texas Operators Driver’s license.
This position requires knowledge of communications, marketing, public relations and media relations programs; knowledge of the functions of a school districts and/or a governmental entity, to include the relationships among departments, divisions and campuses; knowledge of the principles associated with customer service. The incumbent must have demonstrated ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with AISD employees and the public and the ability to assist with the training of staff regarding best communications practices. The incumbent must have the ability to work in a self-directed manner within a fast-paced deadline-driven and complex environment. This position must be able to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities. The incumbent must have skills in handling multiple projects, prioritizing, planning and organizing; skills in data analysis and problem-solving. Employees in this class must have exceptional oral, writing, proofreading and editing skills; and write communications pieces for publication. This position requires proficiency with current technology to performance assigned duties. Experience in InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop is preferred. Graphic design and/or experience with content management systems, preferably Drupal, is a plus.
Employees in this position must be able to read, write, and speak/communicate in English in order to receive and to provide work-related information in a timely manner to other employees, supervisors, principals, school personnel, volunteers and, where appropriate, visitors and students.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Under the supervision of a Communications Specialist Sr., this position is responsible for the coordination of a comprehensive, systematic communication process for families and the general public. Incumbent is responsible for promoting a positive AISD image by planning, organizing, and implementing media, marketing and public relations strategies and activities.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made if necessary.
Work is performed in an office setting. Position requires sitting, standing, lifting and may require travel to campuses. This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position reports to the Communications Specialist Sr.
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer