Allied Consultants, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mainframe Systems Administrator
at Allied Consultants, Inc.
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Experience (Years)
- Systems Administrator
- Deadline Date
- Duration (Hours)
- Duration (Months)
- Visa Restrictions
- Authorized to work in the US
Allied Consultants, Inc. is an Austin-based firm which has for 25 years been a premier provider of technical and business professionals to clients in Texas. We are currently seeking an experienced Mainframe Systems Administrator to be a key resource on a technical services team.
Allied Consultants offers its family of consultants excellent rates, a local support staff, and an attractive benefits package which includes medical insurance (Allied shares a percentage of the cost), life insurance, a matching 401(k) plan and a cafeteria plan.
Candidates selected for interview will be required to undergo criminal background checks and may be required to complete a drug screen in accordance with Federal and State Law. Offers of Employment are contingent on a successful background check
Allied Consultants is an equal opportunities employer.
One of our Texas state agency clients requires an experienced Mainframe Systems Administrator to provide support for agency mainframe system and services. This role provides technical leadership within their infrastructure and operations section, which is responsible for administration of all applications in our client’s mainframe environment. The mainframe system administrator’s work includes supporting data entry and control work processes, overseeing and coordinating mainframe operations in the client’s data center. The mainframe systems administrator’s responsibilities include working with the Network Administration, Customer Support and Applications Development and Support towers to provide support necessary for day-to-day mainframe operations.
The mainframe system administrator will be involved in highly advanced (senior-level) systems administration in support of agency application software and hardware systems and supporting infrastructure and coordinates day-to-day system administration functions such as server configuration, break/fix, user support, and backups. The routine system administration functions will include installs and updates, performance monitoring, security monitoring, and maintenance.
This role includes coordination of work to meet agency goals and objectives as set forth by agency management. All work is coordinated with state contracted data center vendors and under supervision of the Infrastructure, Operations and Desktop Support Manager with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Administers mainframe IMS databases.
- Create, modify and maintain IMS database descriptions.
- Add, remove and re-org database records as needed.
- Monitor and maintain database performance.
- Assist programmers with application support issues that involve IMS databases
- Maintains Mainframe mail and print systems.
- Troubleshoot mail and print issues with mainframe print/mail system.
- Maintains Mainframe Operating Systems Administration.
- Setup and maintain process for base user account creation.
- Setup and maintain privileged access.
- Setup and maintain user access profiles.
- Generate account access review reports.
- Coordinates testing of mainframe software upgrades and Disaster Recovery plans.
- Coordinates the testing and deployment of mainframe software upgrades with DCS contractor.
- Reviews and tests mainframe disaster recovery plans with DCS contractor.
- Maintains Oversight of Mainframe Production Control and Support Jobs.
- Provides technical support for Production Control issues.
- Maintains mainframe job scheduler.
- Assists with maintenance of Support Job executed on open systems.
- Provides support for and maintain monthly mainframe schedule.
- Supports agency application development work by creating and maintaining procedures for use during application deployments; and creating and expanding application environments during development.
- Provides technical assistance to programmers and operations personnel.
- Provides technical support to ITS staff in all problems that involve mainframe operations.
- Conducts and assists staff with testing that involves mainframe operations.
- Advises ITS support staff in best practices and optimal implementations for mainframe operations.
- Coordinates infrastructure support work with data center vendor to maintain uninterrupted service.
- Assists with primary agency contact for data center vendor.
- Maintains knowledge of data center vendor standards and reports agency system non-compliance to management.
- Participates in problem management and change management activities.
- Insures compliance with Commission security standards and policies and make recommendations for updates as needed.
- Provides good customer service.
- Performs related work as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) concepts and implementation.
- Working experience with z/OS Systems administration.
- Working experience in basic z/OS utilities.
- Working experience with Batch and CICS Cobol and IMS programming.
- Knowledge of basic computer networking.
- Knowledge of systems administration, computer hardware and software configuration and troubleshooting, operating systems and applications, computer programming and architecture of scripting languages, and internet security administration.
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems; in coordinating solutions to problems; in developing or revising system configurations.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and resolve complex technical issues.
- Knowledge of basic computer networking and the ability to use network management, administration and other system administration tools.
- Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) concepts and implementation.
- Demonstrated skill in managing multiple environments in support of Application Development and testing.
- Demonstrated skill in scheduling, testing, installing, and implementing programs; and in troubleshooting computer systems.
- Ability to analyze systems and procedures, write and revise standards and procedures, handle multiple projects.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions; analyze complex information and develop plans; interpret complex data; to effectively demonstrate negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, to diverse audiences.
- Ability to maintain working relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to work effectively on a team as a member and leader.
- Ability to plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to address issues/concerns in a professional manner.
Experience with z/OS Systems administration.
Experience with mainframe IMS database administration
Experience in basic z/OS utilities: TSO, SYSVIEW and/or ISPF, Basic IBM utilities IDCAMS, IEFBR14.
Experience with Batch and CICS Cobol, IMS programming and problem resolution.
Experience developing and troubleshooting complex JCL
Working knowledge of Top Secret setup, administration and reporting.
Experience writing, analyzing, and debugging REXX programs in a z/OS environment.
Experience maintaining mainframe printer assignments, including working knowledge of IP Printway.
Working knowledge of BPXBATCH processing for remote executes.
Working knowledge of batch SFTP and FTPS processing.
Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) concepts and implementation.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university, with major coursework in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related field.
Experience and education may be substituted on a year for year basis.